• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1855 Large Cent -- GRADE REVEALED

32 posts in this topic

I'd appreciate guesses on the grade of this one. I'm not interested in the EAC grade :) , but rather what you think it is graded in its current problem free NGC holder.

If anyone can help with the Newcomb attribution that would be awesome also.

Thanks!

-Brandon

126854.jpg.f7dac39c8b9f4a01089cf9219014dc8d.jpg

126855.jpg.e57f869ae4acb8ca6da3e97b3340eb39.jpg

126856.jpg.d71ce5c95576eb0f8020f9de1f637861.jpg

Brandon what’s up with you and all these coins with really soft strikes? :grin:

Coin is MS, may be able to Pass for RB .

Coin is MS may be able to Pass for RB .

It's a good test for you all. C'mon, now, it's not as weak as the MS66 SLQ we saw here. :) Just out of curiosity, what other coins have I posted recently that you would call a "soft strike"? ;)

I'd call it MS-64 RB. The huge fingerprint and weak strike limit the grade, in my opinion. However, the TPG's don't usually discount for these things nearly as much as me - so I wouldn't be surprised to see it in a 65 slab.

It's a good test for you all. C'mon, now, it's not as weak as the MS66 SLQ we saw here. :) Just out of curiosity, what other coins have I posted recently that you would call a "soft strike"? ;)

I was only referring to that 1924 D SLQ and this large cent .

If I had to guess on this coin I would say MS 63 – 65 .

I was only referring to that 1924 D SLQ and this large cent .

If I had to guess on this coin I would say MS 63 – 65 .

That SLQ was not mine. I would have guessed AU58 on that one personally...

Incidentally, the EAC grade for this coin is somewhere between VF-20 and MS-67.

To narrow it down more than that, sacrifice a year old white lamb at sunset, drink a cup of tea and look into the leaves, and watch the flock of ravens, all while reciting the incantations of the Great Prophet Sheldon. The answer will appear to you in the white smoke of the incense.

To narrow it down more than that, sacrifice a year old white lamb at sunset, drink a cup of tea and look into the leaves, and watch the flock of ravens, all while reciting the incantations of the Great Prophet Sheldon. The answer will appear to you in the white smoke of the incense.

:signfunny:

65RB. I'd prefer it in a BN holder though. But it's just enough red to warrant a RB by the images. May be a bit different in hand.

My guess would be EAC 55, since it obviously has been handled.

Commercial MS-62 BN.

Commercial MS-62 BN.

lol James, I can always count on you for a low-ball guess -- even in "commercial" terms. :) (thumbs u

Commercial MS-62 BN.

I thought I was crazy or missing something; my first guess would have been AU55 as well. While the coin has a weak strike, I think there is some rub there as well on the obverse and on some of the leaves on the reverse. If there is no rub, then I would guess MS64 BN.

MS-63 Brown. There is not near enough red to call it R&B.

If you doubt me check out this 1856 cent which is in an old PCGS MS-65, R&B, CAC holder.

1856CentO.jpg

1856CentR.jpg

Bill , Bad example to use for a RB coin – your coin could easily get into a RD holder. Your coin is borderline RD. The coin in question here is borderline RB-BN .

I will use my 1853 MS 66 RB as an example – this one is borderline as it could find its way into a BN holder if resubmitted today .

126927.jpg.301a7d43e51165aa0664431e7078b19c.jpg

Anyone have the book to investigate the variety on my large cent? Just wondering...

I'll post the grade sometime this weekend or early next week.

-Brandon

Anyone have the book to investigate the variety on my large cent? Just wondering...

-Brandon

For me, at least, these are very difficult or impossible to attribute from images. There are very fine die lines that serve as PUPs, and images don't show them.

-Brandon

For me, at least, these are very difficult or impossible to attribute from images. There are very fine die lines that serve as PUPs, and images don't show them.

Ditto

I HATE the Newcomb book. To me it is useless. I cannot attribute the 1856 large cent that I posted above from that book, and the piece is an MS-65 (my grade and the PCGS grade).

To me die variety collecting of large cents after 1839 is a like a dog chasing its tail. The John Wright "Cent Book" is wonderful. After that it's nothing but frustration. :pullhair:

I don't know about the R&B part, but the MS-64 grade is spot on. (thumbs u

Bill, I agree. BUT, earlier in this thread, you guessed MS63. ;)

I don't know about the R&B part, but the MS-64 grade is spot on. (thumbs u

Bill, I agree. BUT, earlier in this thread, you guessed MS63. ;)

True, but I was looking at the fingerprint and the hair in back of the ear, which might have some people knocking off a point. The coin is nice, but it's not the greatest strike for the type.

MS 64 RB works for me , however this is really borderline BR.

Even with the weak strike and the fingerprint it is still a nice coin .

I would definitely call it RB, although it is a little soft in strike.

For that reason, I would have believed that it could have graded MS 63.

I don't like the finger print, either, but for an older coin it is well-preserved and that sort of thing is more acceptable.

However, I have no argument with the MS 64 grade, as it is OVERALL a nice coin.

Yup, if I have said it before I will say it again. EAC grading is a myth. No guide, etc. when an EAC dealer sells, it is an MS67, when an EAC dealer buys, it is a VF-20 (or in this case AU55.....). Nice thing about market grading in a PCGS or NGC slab? Label don't lie that much! :roflmao:

Nice large cent, the strike is abit weak for an MS64, BUT, the TPG graders must realize that this die variety is not well struck and account for that - kudos to the TPG's and their recognition of the complexities of die varieties of the same date can affect the grade. Does EAC take this into account James? I am not sure since there are no published EAC references for grading. But if they do, that is good.

Bill sometimes the Grellman book for late large cents is pretty good for die variety attribution, but I got out of large cents.

Best, HT