• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1884S Morgan Dollar Yes Another One!!

30 posts in this topic

Hard to tell from the pics if it has any luster.

I would say details wise MS64. The dirt on the rim is distracting if that is all it. Also it has a weak strike for and S mint coin.

EDIT: just saw coinmans assessment. I agree with the cleaned.

The luster on the coin is very obvious in between the letters on the obverse but then the cheek seems to experience some lack of luster. It could well be just the photograph (I hope it's just that). In my view the coin is an MS 64 otherwise.

Where are you seeing a cleaning, I am not doubting you just kind of curious. Keep it going guys like I said I need a really really good idea of the grade on this. I would love it if it hit MS64 love it love it love it!

That image is not a good one for purposes of assessing the grade. That said, my guess is AU58 and I do not see the cleaning that has been mentioned.

Please note, if the coin were a common date, I would have guessed MS63, but based on the odds, an 1884-S is likely not to be unc.

The coin has very good detail for a 1884-S---AU 58--MS 62. I question the surfaces, though. Not sure if it would grade. Luster looks muted and I see a couple of hairlines.

That image is not a good one for purposes of assessing the grade. That said, my guess is AU58 and I do not see the cleaning that has been mentioned.

Please note, if the coin were a common date, I would have guessed MS63, but based on the odds, an 1884-S is likely not to be unc.

Is no one else seeing the hairlines on the obverse across the cheek and into the fields? Maybe it's my monitor, but I see what appears to be parallel lines consistent with a brush or wiping of the coin. I also have concerns because of the luster. The luster appears to be impaired and doesn't comport to what I would expect for a mint state coin.

Is no one else seeing the hairlines on the obverse across the cheek and into the fields? Maybe it's my monitor, but I see what appears to be parallel lines consistent with a brush or wiping of the coin. I also have concerns because of the luster. The luster appears to be impaired and doesn't comport to what I would expect for a mint state coin.

Hairlines are not always necessarily indicative of a cleaning. I agree that the luster looks subdued, but don't know whether that is due to the imaging.

I recommend that you send the coin to a professional photographer and then post the pictures here. If the coin will grade (i.e. the hairline patterns are coincidental and the luster is okay in hand), then you should submit the coin.

Appears to be a MS 63-64 coin. 1884-S is known for an above average strike. This coin has an average strike. There appears to be a good amount of luster still present on both Obverse and Reverse. The marks I see are indicative of a coin has that has seen light circulation. So I would grade AU58. I do not see any evidence of cleaning. A few more images at different angles would help.

That said. I think you have a nice AU58 1884-S Morgan Dollar. If you paid an AU price and you think you need TPG confirmation, roll the dice and see what a TPG says.

Carl

Alright guys here are some more pictures hopefully these help you out, and these are the best I can do right now.

1884SObverse1.jpg

1884SObverse2.jpg

1884SReverse1.jpg

1884SReverse3Angle3.jpg

1884SReverse3Angle2.jpg

Alright hopefully these may sway you guys from the cleaning and more into that MS64 area I was liking so much

Those scrapes look like use damage, someone slid it on something rough, they are to far apart for cleaning. But the general surface texture just doesn't look right. But that could very well be the picture. I struggle to get good morgan pictures.

As I was typing you were posting lol MS-64 maybe 63

My Thoughts -

I was going to say altered surface from the first picture obverse.

Now that I see you have a before slab and after slab - its probably in a

PCGS genuine slab. ( Hope not )

Scratches that I was seeing also are not in the new pictures - dunno what that was - perhaps lighting anomolie

Injuries to MS Liberty's cheek in the new pictures look deeper than the original picture - If it did grade I am saying MS63 but the reverse on this coin is killer :)

I am glad you got it certified as these are a very highly counterfitted coin.

Alright guys here are some more pictures hopefully these help you out, and these are the best I can do right now.

1884SObverse1.jpg

Alright hopefully these may sway you guys from the cleaning and more into that MS64 area I was liking so much

Based on the images, I would say that what I perceived as hairlines could have been an artifact or a result of my monitor settings; I don't see evidence of cleaning in the new photographs. I am leaning towards AU58. I recommend that you submit this to either PCGS or NGC. If it is already in a certified coin holder, do not send it to NGC as they will require you to break it out of the slab before they will grade it. PCGS should accept the coin as is if it is in a slab.

Okay so here is the deal, I basically won an auction on this coin. The coin was presented to me first and didn't go live on Ebay. The last images I posted were the ones on the ebay listing, the first ones are ones the seller sent to me when I asked for higher resolution images. If you look closely at the last pictures I posted their is a die gouge on liberties cheek, slightly to the right and a little below the bottom eye line or it appears that way. Do a google search for "1884S Super Fake" it is an NGC article, this coin has nearly the same mark. Also when I was shown this coin I asked the seller the same thing that you guys all assumed, that it was in a PCGS holder, he said that it is not, I am thinking this whole deal is kind of a bait and switch. What do you guys think?

Back way off ...

I was thinking counterfeit but then you posted a PCGS holder - thats why I then thought a genuine holder with problems....

The initial "M" on the neck was post counterfeit installed as it has pressed the hairdown at that spot.

The eagle on the reverse is shifted to the left too much where the wing is in the star field

A few other small things but this guy is a crook

IMHO

Okay so here is the deal, I basically won an auction on this coin. The coin was presented to me first and didn't go live on Ebay. The last images I posted were the ones on the ebay listing, the first ones are ones the seller sent to me when I asked for higher resolution images. If you look closely at the last pictures I posted their is a die gouge on liberties cheek, slightly to the right and a little below the bottom eye line or it appears that way. Do a google search for "1884S Super Fake" it is an NGC article, this coin has nearly the same mark. Also when I was shown this coin I asked the seller the same thing that you guys all assumed, that it was in a PCGS holder, he said that it is not, I am thinking this whole deal is kind of a bait and switch. What do you guys think?

How did you "basically won an auction" and it didn't go "live on Ebay"?

I don't think it is a "bait and switch" as it looks to me as if the same coin is pictured in both sets of images. And my guess is that it's genuine. Still, I would avoid such a coin, especially if the transaction is not going through Ebay

I was contacted by the seller to purchase the coin, he posted it on ebay with a price we both agreed upon and I bought it. It did not go up as an auction format and we were discussing the price of the coin between the both of us. So it was pretty much posted solely for me. So I hope that explains it, I know it sounds kind of confusing.

So I am protected through ebay buyer protection.

I was contacted by the seller to purchase the coin, he posted it on ebay with a price we both agreed upon and I bought it. It did not go up as an auction format and we were discussing the price of the coin between the both of us. So it was pretty much posted solely for me. So I hope that explains it, I know it sounds kind of confusing.

I would steer clear of that transaction.

Private auctions, I have done them as both buyer and seller. List the item at a prearranged time so the buyer can snag it.

That's much better than not going through Ebay. But in this case, I still would not buy the coin.

So I am protected through ebay buyer protection.

Sheesh make a simple thing confusing.

Its negotiated "BUY NOW" -

You would have had to contact him first though otherwise he don't know who you are or interested.

Still does not explain why the pictures changed from a raw to a pcgs holder.

I hope he has a return ploicy :) - Good Luck my friend!

PS_ I own a AU if you want to look - feathering is well just visable

lol, I did kind of make that complicated didn't I? Okay well I have bought coins from him before an 1884S, so he contacted me about this one. I have a few graded AU 1884S Morgans this one looked better, he swears the coin was not in a PCGS holder, BTW. And he has a 7 day return policy so I don't know I am probably going to back out of it.