• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What grade holder should this be in?

21 posts in this topic

Nice!

Back in 1877 most people who received such an error in change would have immediately demanded a replacement. Some would have sent the coin to the mint for a "good" coin.

(From the photo – MS-66 or better.)

I have always been of the opinion that error coins should be marked "Genuine Mint Error" (or something to that effect).

After all, would a grade of 65 on this coin make you want it any more?

Disclaimer: This is NOT my series and my judgement is based on other series that I do know.

I like it regardless of holder but I would say 65. I would think the luster would have to be FANTASTIC to go higher. It also depends upon what might be going on to the left of the date....is that a mark or is it just a toning line?...if toning then I will stick with my 65.

Knowing how much you treasure that coin,

I wouldn't dream of giving it anything less than

a Mint State 66.

Looks like Mr. Feld is giving it a bump.

I don't ever remember you're telling me

that it was a 67 ... Could upgrade I guess...

Nice!

Back in 1877 most people who received such an error in change would have immediately demanded a replacement. Some would have sent the coin to the mint for a "good" coin.

(From the photo – MS-66 or better.)

Thanks, this practice was still being done until about the early 1950's, but instead of sending them to the mint... Errors where exchanged at a local bank branch.

Only one grade really came to mind for me - MS67.

:acclaim:

How do I send you a virtual hug on this forum hm:blush:

You can't, so just send/give me the coin, instead. :D

Knowing how much you treasure that coin,

I wouldn't dream of giving it anything less than

a Mint State 66.

Looks like Mr. Feld is giving it a bump.

I don't ever remember you're telling me

that it was a 67 ... Could upgrade I guess...

It's not in a MS67 holder, but as mint errors are only graded for the non error portion of the coin it has always been an example that I felt was under graded.

Only one grade really came to mind for me - MS67.

:acclaim:

How do I send you a virtual hug on this forum hm:blush:

You can't, so just send/give me the coin, instead. :D

:roflmao:

I have always been of the opinion that error coins should be marked "Genuine Mint Error" (or something to that effect).

After all, would a grade of 65 on this coin make you want it any more?

Yes, as it's an almost impossible to locate originally toned 19th or even 20th century examples such as this that haven't been dipped to showcase the mint error.

Hey now, what a beautiful piece. The luster is amazing on such an old example. I would say solid 66 with a REALLY good shot at 67. I love your coin, it's just amazing.....Joe

Hey now, what a beautiful piece. The luster is amazing on such an old example. I would say solid 66 with a REALLY good shot at 67. I love your coin, it's just amazing.....Joe

Thanks Buffalo Head :)

Personally, I think error coins like this should only be authenticated, and not "graded". The factors of eye-appeal are completely different for such a coin than for a normally struck example.

Personally, I think error coins like this should only be authenticated, and not "graded". The factors of eye-appeal are completely different for such a coin than for a normally struck example.

While I respect your argument, it should come as no surprise that error collecting, like many other areas of numismatics (and collectibles in general), the "purists" have been overtaken by the "capitialists" who are more interested in the money to be made with higher graded coins than the simple beauty and rarity of the error itself.

An experienced error collector (30+ years myself) doesn't need a third-party grading service to tell him/her an error is authentic...but too many today want to either know they have the highest-graded example or want to demand the highest price for a particular error type. I think EAC enthusiasts suffer similarly.

In defense of your argument though, it is sometimes nice to encapsulate a valuable error to protect it. And, unfortunately, many less-experienced collectors just can't seem to trust the authenticity of a coin unless it is slabbed.

It looks like a very nice example!

(thumbs u

I struggle though with grading these mint errors.

I tend to side with James on them.

hm

66. Very cool coin!

As the error coin that it is, does a 1 point difference in grade at that level make a lot of difference in the value of the coin? I would think that since the error market is much thinner than non-errors, you'd lose buyers faster as the price climbed, which would keep the prices down. At what price point does an error like this actually detract from the value of the coin?