• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I Prefer PCGS

26 posts in this topic

It's the holder, stupid!

Do you think that NGC would ever consider a clear insert (rather than the white insert) at least as an option for its certified coins? Frankly, I would rather have coins in the NCS-style holder--they look a lot better.

I recently hesitated (then missed the chance) to buy a fairly expensive proof gold $1 coin in an NGC holder because I think that the small gold coins look unattractive in the white holders. And to risk that kind of money on a crackout or cross--I did not have the stomach for it.

Sure, buy the coin, not the holder, but if you put an ugly frame around a beautiful picture, the whole package still looks ugly.

Done venting...carry on.

Well, to each his own. Personally, I feel just the opposite. I prefer NGC holders BECAUSE of the white insert. I feel coins look much better against NGC’s white background than the clear plastic of a PCGS holder, which looks cheap IMO. confused-smiley-013.gif

Even with this said though, PCGS’s holder never kept me from buying a coin in one of their holders if I liked the coin, because to me it is all about the coin. wink.gif

John

NGC is putting some of the smaller coins in the clear NCS plastic inner cores. I don't know if they are doing this for standard US coins or not. I have seen it on some foreign coins and the fractional gold they just started to certify.

Perhaps NGC is responding to the consumers and putting the small coins in these slabs? Or perhaps they just have no other slabs to fit these coins?

Personally, I like the way the larger (half eagle and up) gold coins look in NGC slabs but I agree that the tiny coins (G1$ and trimes) get lost in NGC slabs.

However, I don't collect the tiny coins anyway, so it doesn't matter. grin.gif

Clearly the solution here is to improve one's grading skills to the point that you can have confidence buying a coin in some other service's slab and just send it in to PCGS. (I hear them-thar modren collectors do that all the time wink.gif)

Clearly the solution here is to improve one's grading skills to the point that you can have confidence buying a coin in some other service's slab and just send it in to PCGS.

I disagree. The accuracy of either grading service is not such that no matter how good you are at grading a series, you are assured to get the grade you expect. With an expensive coin, I do not have the cohones to take the chance, despite that I do not buy coins witht he expectation of selling them. The reality is, tastes change, and coins get sold or traded for others.

I realy like the clear ring around the coin in the new multi-coin holder. I still prefer toners with the white background though.

I have a Pan-Pac dollar in an NGC slab. I don`t like how it sits in it. It appears too recessed and interferes with my viewing pleasure. The color of the slab does not bother me. The Jefferson dollar I have is in a PCGS slab and I like it much more. It`s easier for me to view the coin. Does anyone else feel the same way?

I don't like the NGC holders because it makes it very difficult to take pictures of the coin. I'm sure some dealerships have this figured out but the vast majority of sellers out there (especially on Ebay) don't want to take the time. Heritage photos are especially bad...although their PCGS shots aren't anything to write home about the NGC holdered coins are terrible most of the time.

I wish NGC gave an option on this. I'd much prefer a clear slab or a dark one that doesn't have a reflective surface.

jom

About the only place where PCGS holders are better is for very small coins like Type 1 gold dollars and silver three cent pieces. Those coins seem to get lost in the thick NGC inserts. I think that gold, copper and most silver coins look as good or better in NGC holders.

I have to admit that I also prefer the look of a coin in the clear PCGS holder vs the white NGC holder, especially for smaller coins. I can't say that it's ever effected a purchase decision, however.

It's easier to photograph PCGS over NGC, however, if you like the coin, and are keeping it, send it to PCGS... who cares what number they slap on? Or is the number what you're buying, and unless the holder says so, you can't like the coin?

Jeremy,

By your reasoning, one may as well crack 'em out of NGC (or PCGS or any other TPG) slabs if the presentation so suits him.

However, ignoring market forces is a dangerous proposition for the majority of us who have significant capital tied into his slabbed collection.

EVP

Forgot to mention that Dr. Koshkarian cracked out his lovely coins from TPG slabs and had them all in Capital Plastic holders. They were an awesome sight to behold!

Of course, when he sold them, they were first re-slabbed!

EVP

Here's some follow-up. Late in 2004, I ended up purchasing a nice and very rare proof gold dollar in an NGC Proof-64 CAM holder. The coin looks just fine--perhaps, someday, I will try to cross it, but it is not something I spend much time worrying about.

Here's some follow-up. Late in 2004, I ended up purchasing a nice and very rare proof gold dollar in an NGC Proof-64 CAM holder. The coin looks just fine--perhaps, someday, I will try to cross it, but it is not something I spend much time worrying about.

That's what I feel. Other than the photograph problem I mentioned earlier I don't really give a damn what holder it's in. In fact, why have it in a holder at all? grin.gif

Unless I'm selling then I don't see how it matters... confused-smiley-013.gif

jom

My problem with the PCGS holder is that the coin window gets scuffed very easily. I have many more PCGS scratched coin windows than scratched NGC holders. IMHO most gold coins look better in the NGC holder (except gold $1.00's).

I have many more PCGS scratched coin windows than scratched NGC holders.

Especially after a auction lot viewing. The PCGS holders always take more of a beating....

jom

a superlatice coin that proof gold dollar i bet it really stands out in the white holder and hits you

i was wondering 893applaud-thumb.gif why is the 1874 gold dollar in proof not graded ultra cameo??????? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif and the eye appeal is thumbsup2.giffantastic thumbsup2.gif

michael

a superlatice coin that proof gold dollar i bet it really stands out in the white holder and hits you

i was wondering 893applaud-thumb.gif why is the 1874 gold dollar in proof not graded ultra cameo??????? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif and the eye appeal is thumbsup2.giffantastic thumbsup2.gif

michael

Thanks, Michael.

In hand, the coin does not have the contrast for UCAM.

I dig both holders!

I'm with Lucy on this - Actually, I'd go 1 step further - I don't care which holder - I buy COINS, not holders.

Has anybody notice how coins look much better out of a slab then in them? I noticed that when I cracked out my 53-S Jefferson nickel, it really looked awesome! thumbsup2.gif I had my camera with me in Fort Lauderdale but I didn't think to take a picture before reslabbing it. frown.gif

Leo

The gray-bluish tint of the PCGS holder really does a slight affect on the appearance of the coin, especially mint frost and hiding minor friction. I have noticed this with some PCGS, Ike's and Kennedy's that I cracked for a Capital holder. The minor friction on these coins was more noticeable out of the slab. Could this coloration based visual distortion be part of the "PCGS coins are better" mistique?

As mentioned, I also have several PCGS slabs that need to have some serious surface scratches buffed out. These scratches were on the slabs when I bought them. I think some dealers must use slabs as hockey pucks. Although carrying them around (unprotected) in briefcases probably accomplishes the same amount of damage.