• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newp, 1839-O Bust Half

35 posts in this topic

From Baltimore, spotted as I walked past the CRO table, a coin I have wanted for a long, long time. Everytime I spotted one on a website in an affordable (for me) grade it was snapped up almost immediately. This time I did the pouncing. Feel free to guesstimate grade if you like.

The bright light brought out the blue-green and reddish tones, in hand they are more muted.

1839-Ocappedbusthalfdollar.jpg

1839-Ocappedbusthalfdollarrev.jpg

Very nice!!!

This one I would grade AU50. I remember walking the floor one Baltimore show and not seeing a single one! People dont realize how rare this coin is.

congrats on the pick up!

Sharp pickup and as Ankur said a very hard to find coin in this condition. I think PCGS graded AU50..

Congratulations on your quest.

Carl

Thanks for the comments guys. I can't believe my good fortune, as I really believe it would have been gone in a jiffy if I hadn't wandered by to ogle the Colonials.

PCGS graded it as VF 35.

I have the impression the die was close to blowing up, from all the cracks.

grip, if you have a photo it would be great if you could post it. Having seen some images of your other coins, it must have been impressive!

Thanks for the comments guys. I can't believe my good fortune, as I really believe it would have been gone in a jiffy if I hadn't wandered by to ogle the Colonials.

PCGS graded it as VF 35.

I have the impression the die was close to blowing up, from all the cracks.

No joke, that would have been my guess. I think PCGS graded it perfectly.

Most 1839-O RE halves show extensive die cracking and this coin is no exception. Indeed, the truly scarce 1839-O RE half dollars are those that show little, if any, die cracks.

Most 1839-O RE halves show extensive die cracking and this coin is no exception. Indeed, the truly scarce 1839-O RE half dollars are those that show little, if any, die cracks.

... or those that display terminal die-state retained cuds.

Years ago, I bought that date in an NGC 58 holder - thinking that

I would collect the series - and then got interested in Barbers. So,

out went that 1839-O - now - fast forward to 2011 - I started the series

once again - and I picked up all the coins [ save for the 1838-O ] and

I still can't find another 39-O in AU 53- 58. That date is rare - rarer

than most realize.

If that's a PCGS 35 - its got to be the nicest 35 out there !! Congrats !!

Nice color, I like this coin very much. I would have graded it XF 40. I see it was graded XF 35 , that is a fantastic looking XF 35 .

I don't think I've ever seen an AU53-58 example in person, that would be a treat.

I have to thank the CRO guys for spotting this one-- no idea where they found it, or if it found them-- and Lady Luck for putting it in my meandering path.