• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

On a Hawaiian Trip posted by DrDarryl

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

My mindset is in the land of Aloha...sort of

My birthplace is Honolulu, Hawaii. I grew-up on the islands of Oahu and Hawaii (aka Big Island). My career keeps me on the continental US, but I often have vacation trips back "home". In all my trips, I allocate a period of time in which I pursue my Hawaiiana collectable hunts. From coins to documents.

I have been advocating the concept to read as much as you can about a coin or coin type, as a mater of fact, anything that is of collectable interest to you. But,on occasions you have to go with your gut feeling...

The attached article is about a gut feeling purchase I had. In the end, I donated this item to the Iolani Palace as they did not have an example...

My article was printed in a newsletter published by the Hawaii State Society of Washington DC.

10881.jpg

See more journals by DrDarryl

How awesome and generous of you to share this important Hawaiian artifact so that everyone can enjoy it. I had visited Hawaii when I was in the Navy years ago and have fond memories of my visit there. While there, I bought a World War 2 HAWAII $1 silver certificate that I still own today. Enjoy your vacation and thanks for sharing. Because of your Hawaii custom set, I am now looking for an Heraldic Art #2 Hawaii medal to add to my Inspirational Ladies custom set. All the best.

Gary

Fascinating Dr. D. How proud you must be to have your find in such a fine museum. Your tale is what keeps me glued to this forum. I DO learn something new and interesting every single day.

Later,

Malcolm

Mahalo DrDarryl, I've heard of folks returning royal items over the years or donating personal treasures such as yours. I seem to remember some chairs being returned to the palace years ago. Wonderful custom set, some of those medals I've never seen before.

Aloha,

Merlin8*