• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Calling POG collectors

26 posts in this topic

Are there any out there? If so let me know as I will be going to the land of POGs in the very near future for a short duration as an unplanned trip that just came up and plan on picking some up.

I don't really collect them either, but I always seem to bring some home in my pockets. There are a few that I kept on purpose like the superhero ones.

I remember when POGs exploded all over the States, was going to Comic Con back then and you could find every possible subject from Anime Characters to Super Heroes on a POG. I still have my 25th Anniversary Comic Con POG somewhere in my house. Hard to believe that was 17 years ago.

Time Flies

Later,

Malcolm

I remember when POGs exploded all over the States, was going to Comic Con back then and you could find every possible subject from Anime Characters to Super Heroes on a POG.

Different type of "pog". I'm pretty sure the POG's he is talking about are the substitute cardboard nickels. dimes, and quarters used for payment of our military forces in Iraq and Afganistan (AAFES pogs). It saves them the expense of shipping the heavy coins and keeps the soldiers in combat areas from having coins in their pockets that could jingle.

They are printed on glossy cardboard stock, typically with military related themes. Last I knew there had been seven different series issued. OK looks like there are now nine series.

Information about the pogs and links to images of the first eight series can be found here.

http://numispedia.org/AAFES/

mtnstyne if you could pick up some for me as well I would appreciate it.

There are a few that I kept on purpose like the superhero ones.

Wait a minute, maybe we aren't talking about the same type pogs. There are no superheros on the AAFES pogs unless you count the military personnel pictured as being "superheros".

Edited by Conder101

Hey all, yes I am refering to Military AAFES POGs, not "pieces of gold" as mentioned earlier.

Condor, there are actually a few superhero's pictured on the AAFES POG's, I know there are Ironman, Shehulk, Capt America (of course) and maybe hulk. I am pretty sure they are up to 15 printings to date as well with the most recent being in 2011. They have also featured some NASCAR (military sponsored drivers) as well so it's not entirely military pictures. AAFES also has a deal with marvell comics and put out comics for them as well. I just picked up number 11 from the PX, I only seem to find them while deployed so I only have like 8 of the series.

POGs are cleverly called "gift certifcates" because otherwise I believe it would be illegal. That being said I am sure AAFES banks a fortune on POGs that are not cashed in, destroyed in the wash, discarded as garbage when you clean out your pockets, collectors, and any other imaginable reason they don't redeamed. I usually save all mine to cash in for beer upon return, but then it never happens and I just have a pile.

AAFES does use them to save on shipping coinage overseas, the cost is tremendous. They have most recently the past several years been working on an initiative get cash off the battlefield by using more EFT and a prepaid card system for downrange that is used by all vendors on post like the PX, taco bell, clothing and sales.

So far I only have one 10 cent this trip, but I haven't been here but about 5 hour. I am hoping for a short trip but I will pick some just to have them. I like to see the new ones. My internet is like dial-up so the rest of the night will be spent slowly downloading all the posts with pictures. Peace!

In that case I'd like to re-state that I would be interested in pieces as well.. And thanks for the information on the later series. I may have to get a little more serious with these. Go through your "pile" and lets talk about a deal.

Hello Collectors and to all the other collectors on this link regarding POGS !!!

I have been collecting POGS since 2006. I have one complete set and working on completing 2 more sets for my 3 daughters. ! 497 different Pogs. There are 15 different Printings ranging from Undated,2003 to 2011 ... There are 135 - 5 cent Pogs,180 - 10 cent pogs and 182- 25 cent Pogs. There are OIF < OEF and OND Pogs ... These are the different operations that were conducted while we were over there. There are holgrams, lenticular pogs as well .. There is something for everyone. These are Gift certificates and can be used world wide at any AAFES Establisment. Once they are used at the AAFES facility state SIDE, they are destroyed.

I have seen some questions regarding Grading of the POGS.. There are a few publications out there that describe conditions, however, at this point its a matter of each persons judgement.

As far as mintage levels. AAFES Of Dallas has not released that info. It has been said that there are some POGS that have a limited mintage of 50,000.

If you are interested in putting together a set, Let me know.Please PM me at Armysgti@yahoo.com .. It seems as if this link has died since the last posting in 2012.

Best of luck in your search...

Army Strong,

Tracy

Ret SFC Ibberson

USARMY

I'm a non-serious POG collector but have been getting a little more serious recently. I can pick them up for next to nothing and have put together quite a few of the Pepsi Cola sets which I'll eventually trade off probably.

I know nothing about any organized efforts to collect, grade, or promote these things. My greatest interest is actually in the ones made for advertising or that have themes relevant to the times or other items I collect like "telephone".

Hello Collectors and to all the other collectors on this link regarding POGS !!!

I have been collecting POGS since 2006. I have one complete set and working on completing 2 more sets for my 3 daughters. ! 497 different Pogs. There are 15 different Printings ranging from Undated,2003 to 2011 ... There are 135 - 5 cent Pogs,180 - 10 cent pogs and 182- 25 cent Pogs. There are OIF < OEF and OND Pogs ... These are the different operations that were conducted while we were over there. There are holgrams, lenticular pogs as well .. There is something for everyone. These are Gift certificates and can be used world wide at any AAFES Establisment. Once they are used at the AAFES facility state SIDE, they are destroyed.

I have seen some questions regarding Grading of the POGS.. There are a few publications out there that describe conditions, however, at this point its a matter of each persons judgement.

As far as mintage levels. AAFES Of Dallas has not released that info. It has been said that there are some POGS that have a limited mintage of 50,000.

If you are interested in putting together a set, Let me know.Please PM me at Armysgti@yahoo.com .. It seems as if this link has died since the last posting in 2012.

Best of luck in your search...

Army Strong,

Tracy

Ret SFC Ibberson

USARMY

Welcome :hi:

What is a pog?

Good question... ...and not easily answered.

It began as a game that employed the use of a sort of hammer and little (generally cardboard) discs to hit in a game of skill similar to tiddly winks. The discs were called pogs and the hammers; slammers. I believe they used existing discs like milk bottle caps by my memory is a little hazy here. In the '80's the game became popular and several companies began making pogs for the market. Most had pictures or words on one side.

There are collectors for milk bottle caps as well. Those little caps the baby boomers used in grade school with the presidents on them got up to nearly $100 in 2008 but, that market may have collapsed like many others.

Aafes Pogs >> over 497 different Pogs ,.... These are some what similiar to Military Pay Certificates only issues by AAFES, not the US Government. They are used for change in areas like Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Jordan. Contact me here or PM and I can give you more info.

Thanks ...

Tracy

Ret US ARMY

Dinosaur POGs and McDonald POGs from the early 1990s. I sold thousand of different sets of these and others on eBay during the late 90s and people still collect them today. Lots of AAFES POGs for sale at the moment on eBay (not by me).

162420.jpg.f6ae8638393558ad6ad360685c7ba21e.jpg

162422.jpg.9914aecca58c9e05a111744fa432d689.jpg

Edited by Tommy44

Good Morning .. It appears that this link /Forum has lost steam. AAFES POGS/ Gift Certificates is doing fine and well. There are hundreds of them posted on Ebay . With the issue of the 16th Printing in Nov of 2017 , that brings the total POGS up to 533 different Pogs. I have been collecting the POGS since 2005 when I came across them while while supporting a team of in Qatar .. I have since been to Iraq, Afghanistan, Bahrain ,Kuwait, Jordan. . I have 3 complete sets and numerous spares. if interested in trading or buying some of these interesting pieces , please PM me.  You will only find the AAFES POGS being used in the different contingency areas where are troops our being supported .  http://numispedia.org/AAFES/   

Thanks for the read.

Tracy

US Army Ret.

11 16th Print Dimes.jpg

103_9556.JPG

Red 6th Printing AAFES Pogs 10 cents.jpg

To the Beav ...  These have really caught on. Checking Ebay , there are over 200 Sales listed under AAFES Pogs ranging from 1.50 to 1595.00 .. If you decide you would like some moire info, you can PM me ...  I currently have 3 Complete sets and over 7500 Spares.  Good Luck ...

Tracy

US Army Ret.

Doug Bell and Steve Swoish have established a website for information on POGs - www.aafespogs.com. They have classified the POGs so they can be readily identified. They use an alpha-numeric system. The classification sys­tem first lists a number which identifies the printing. This is followed by a letter for that design (A for the first printing, and A to M, skipping I, for the remaining printings). The next number is the denomination. This is followed by a 1, represent­ing one each. For example, 4H101 represents the fourth printing, design H with the value of 10 cents. The POGs that carry the OIF and OEF overprinting, that starts in the fifth series, are classified as with ("w") and without ("wo") the over­print. POGs with and without the OEF overprint are 5G251, 6M101, 6G251, 7A101 and 7L251. POGs with and without OIF overprint are 5H51 (Cited from: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/aafes-pogs.187125/)

TriFolder Pog.jpg

11 6th printing pogs10cNUMBERS.jpg

3 denominations AAFES POGS.jpg

3 Denominations spread out.jpg

11 POGS ALBUM.jpg

11 Pogs in  storage case.jpg

11POGS safe keeping.jpg

11 Retirement Plan AAFES POGS.jpg