• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHAT VALUE SHOULD THIS ERROR ADD TO MY INDIAN

20 posts in this topic

I bought this coin because I loved the toning. When I recieved it I realized it had an un noted die clash. The clash is strong and is both obverse and reverse. The clash is better in hand sorry bout the pics ordering lights and copy stand tomorrow.

In hand the reverse shows the entire profile including full head dress I could get it all in the pic. Obverse shows much of the wreath and one cent.

DSCN6096-1-1.jpg

DSCN6065-1.jpg

Wow, I'm suprised it graded at all. I sent one in with a very simmilar look a couple of years ago, and it came back as questionable toning.

This is interesting as I have seen some naturally toned copper pieces like this on other copper coins. Maybe NGC thought your coin was MS70ed. Even if it was, I am surprised that it came back. NGC has certified many copper coins that look MS70ed.

What is ms70ed?

I used the term "MS70ed" to refer to a coin that has been treated with the coin cleaner (brand name) MS70. MS70 is a coin cleaner that supposedly removes contamination from coins without disturbing the metal itself; however, when applied to copper, it often produces a characteristic blue toning.

nothing for me unless it was in the CherryPickers or had a Snow number, and then maybe nothing to me.

Some people like strike throughs and some are intersting, but to me they are like die polish and take away from original design.

I think that is fair and it is about how much premium I paid. Showing it off at my local club last month I turned down a nice offer of $600. To unique with the toning to sell it is one of my favorite coins.

To unique with the toning to sell it is one of my favorite coins.

I can understand why; I too find die clashes and other "oddities" fascinating, even if they do not confer much (if any premium). The coin is also pleasant for a brown Indian head cent.

I do not believe that the clash would be considered an error since many IHC's have from that era have clash marks.

Regardless this is a recognized error which does have a following. Those who are interested would like a recognizable date not to mention dramatic toning to set there not so rare clash apart from the rest of their pals.

I think people are misunderstanding. I was curious what the value would do in a crowd of those interested. Not what it adds to someone who does not care for this sort of coin.

I like the coin just fine and have owned several of them which are similar to that. The clash would not increase the coin's value for me. You asked and I gave you an honest answer, The toning looks MS70'ed to me and that would detract some buyers as well. There is no misunderstanding on my part. I guess that you can keep fishing until you hear what you want to hear.