• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are the "(W)Struck at West Point Mint" silver eagles a Variety Coin?

4 posts in this topic

. . . or are they just a Play on labels?

Though I agree that the "(S)Struck at San Francisco Mint" coin, though just another bullion coin, can be considered a variation from the pack, having been minted at S.F., does the same hold true for the "(W)" version? It's a West Point issued bullion coin, the same as the other bullion coins, the only difference is that one Label says 2011/12 Silver Eagle, and the other label includes a "(W)Struck at" on its label, both produced at the same time, from the same Mint!

A couple of days ago I inquired about having the 2012(S)coin added to the MS Eagles competative set, the response from the Staff (I think) was overkill, by adding a whole new mint state set that includes ALL the variation labels.

Since I don't believe that the "(W)" label is a Variety Coin, I Don't believe this Label should be included in any Mint State Silver Eagle Set! Also, since the (S) label was included in the regular MS Silver Eagle Set for 2011, I'd like to see it there for 2012.

I appologize in advance to anyone who has already taken possession of the coin, and believes otherwise.

. . . or are they just a Play on labels?

Though I agree that the "(S)Struck at San Francisco Mint" coin, though just another bullion coin, can be considered a variation from the pack, having been minted at S.F., does the same hold true for the "(W)" version? It's a West Point issued bullion coin, the same as the other bullion coins, the only difference is that one Label says 2011/12 Silver Eagle, and the other label includes a "(W)Struck at" on its label, both produced at the same time, from the same Mint!

A couple of days ago I inquired about having the 2012(S)coin added to the MS Eagles competative set, the response from the Staff (I think) was overkill, by adding a whole new mint state set that includes ALL the variation labels.

Since I don't believe that the "(W)" label is a Variety Coin, I Don't believe this Label should be included in any Mint State Silver Eagle Set! Also, since the (S) label was included in the regular MS Silver Eagle Set for 2011, I'd like to see it there for 2012.

I appologize in advance to anyone who has already taken possession of the coin, and believes otherwise.

I agree 100% !!

Dave

I've asked NGC about these coins but have not gotten a response. These coins, although being labelled are just bullion, right? They are not burnished Eagles, are they. Seems as though they can only be collected once slabbed. They come from Green Monster boxes and are only recognized as the boxes have either West Point or San Francisco on them. They can't be purchased from the mint as they aren't uncirculated. Again, I ask, they are bright bullion and not burnished? Is there a ount being kept of them? I wish the TPG's would provide more info!!!