• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Practicing Coin Photography !!!

38 posts in this topic

Jim,

You need to adjust your white balance. Check out pages 90 and 91 in the PDF manual I linked for you above.

You will need a sheet of white paper. Essentially, you take a picture of the sheet of white paper under the same lights you will use to take your coin photo. You then use this "dummy picture" captured in your camera as the custom white balance setting mechanism. This will reset your white balance in the camera for your particular light set-up and will make your images less green.

You're getting there. Still looks a little blurry, but the luster is nice.

For comparison I'm attaching my 1972-S Ike:

1972S_MS68_Ike_750px_obv.jpg

1972S_MS68_Ike_750px_rev.jpg

BRG,

Sure is a lot to figure out and read. I finally used the Creative Mode (AP) and had to set the F stop all the way up to 29 I think, so that the photo would clear up.

Ok... Now as far as WB. It also has different settings. I have it set to White Flourescent Light. Should I set it in Auto Mode or Custom?? I'm shooting against a wall painted Gray.

Also, some of my problem could be the bulbs I'm using also. CFL 100 watt

Thanks Jim

Use the Custom WB. When you set the custom WB it will ask you to select the image you have in your camera that you want it to use for calibration. That's why you want to find a blank sheet of bright white paper and take a picture of that before you try to set the Custom WB.

Are you using a tripod? Or holding the camera by hand?