• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else coming out of hibernation?

32 posts in this topic

I just bought my first coin from auction in over 2 years. Maybe it was 5 years.

I started collecting again in 1998 after years off, and I haven't bought much in the last 6 years besides a few things at shows and from dealer lists. On auctions I've been outbid on everything for years. Today I got an invoice from Heritage saying I was finally high bidder.

For years I've thought the market overpriced on the 19th century type coins, 20 cent pieces, and trade dollars I've had my eye on, and I bid according to what I thought the coins were worth. Either I just overbid or I'm finally waking up and smelling the coffee.

Is anyone else back in the market after years off (or still sitting on the sidelines waiting for prices to drop)?

I haven't bought a whole lot lately. Mostly saving for specific coins I'm wanting right now. I had to buy me a 1997P Jefferson to be able to complete my 1965-Date Proof registry, I have a payment plan on a very nice TX Comm right now that I've been wanting for years, and next is saving again for my 1959 PF67Cam Frankie for my birthset.

Speaking of which, Bobby, I looked but didn't see any 59's that met your criteria (or that I would recommend you buy). There was one, but it was a butt ugly, overgraded, barely CAM POS.

I haven't purchased a coin in 13 months. I would like to add to my Proof cameo Franklin set this year.

What are you waiting for? Better coins to come on the market? Prices to drop? Extra funds to come available?

I've been out because I didn't like the coins that fit in my budget. Those that I did like I thought too expensive.

I haven't purchased a coin in 13 months. I would like to add to my Proof cameo Franklin set this year.

What are you waiting for? Better coins to come on the market? Prices to drop? Extra funds to come available?

I've been out because I didn't like the coins that fit in my budget. Those that I did like I thought too expensive.

I have thought about your question for about 10 minutes now. I am not sure I know the anwser. I lost 3 of my nicest Franklins a year ago in a fire. I lost some Morgans too. I sold my 9 remaining Morgans through Shane this summer. I couldn't get myself to sell the Franklins though. I keep thinging back to my moms old half dollar jar. I think she still has it. I remember digging them out a bunch of times 35 years ago. There were only two Franklins in the whole jar. A 1951 and 1953. Both were badly worn but, they still looked so cool to me. I took out my remaining Franklins a few weeks ago. I left them on the coffee table for a week. I also recieved a bunch of proof sets and misc coins from some of my comic friends as gifts. I need to get them out, take pics and post them. That might help spark my interest to seek out and purchase coins again.

I actually stopped to reassess my goals about 3 months ago. I had found I was going in way too many directions and throwing money at stuff I really didn't want.

Since then I have been looking at what I have, figuring out a new budget with the wife and family, and will go from there. I don't know if I have it all figured out, but I am anxious to go to my next coin show and look for a couple new additions.

Well... I finally figured out (kinda) how to add a coin to my profile page, along with a little about myself on the profile. I hope to be digging through a lot of boxes I've had in storage for quite some time. I too, like one of the post above have over the last few years been throwing money on coins in different directions. The wife is trying to get me to sell some things, but it would be hard at this time to even break even on most of it. My problem is I don't just buy coins.

Anyway, It's very hard not to buy when you really want something, and to just stop. I have to admit, I'm kind of addicted.....

@Jason,

I finally got to some of those boxes and will try to send some pics soon

Anyone else coming out of hibernation?

Interesting topic, which I was just discussing with jom via PM.

For me, collecting is definitely seasonal, and my hibernation periods are usually a matter of months, not years. That's because I put coins in two auctions a year, and can't really buy anything major until I get the proceeds. Those auctions are in Feb. and Oct., with proceeds obtained around April 1, and December 1. So, I get to buy "big" coins in spring and winter.

Fall is usually dead for me, and summer is almost dead except I do a couple of local shows where some decent purchases can be had.

However, if I do manage to sell something off my website, or in private, or at the local coin club, that usually frees up a little "petty cash" for year 'round purchases.

In short, I'm never in any sort of lengthy "hibernation mode", but do get to experience seasonal doldrums a couple of times a year.

On the main page when you are viewing the topics on the right side of the page the topic showed "Anyone else coming out" I was thinking this should be interesting. Clicking the link I saw the full topic.

I would not say I am in hibernation mode as I have been purchasing several coins. It has however been a while sense I purchased one for the main sets I would like to just working on secondary sets.

I think I mentioned this to James via PM as well....if Shiro had asked this about a year ago I would say it had been a good 3/4 years of lost interest in coins. During that period I sold off my $10 Indian set and actually did NOT attend TWO Long Beach shows which was something that was unheard of for me the previous 12 years. I had to rekindle the fire so to speak so I've been in the process of changing what I collect (it seems Bust coinage has won out) and I'm in the process of selling off a few coins I've owned for years.

Hopefully, this keeps me in the game another 12 years.... :)

jom

Well I have been DEAD for a few years ... and I have been resurrected :). Having no funds doesn't help. I was waiting a few to unload the last of my Proof coins that I know would only increase in value exponentially then I would have funds to buy again. Which I have and are doing. Catching up on my Proof Eagles (100% again) - Catching up of my GOLD/Plat Commem set (99%) - Unloading a classic proof set I was really not interested in any more -1886- Using those funds to upgrade some coins in the 1883 Proof set and pay some college bills. Over all .... I'm Baaaaccckkk at least for the time being.Its been nice to see some the old 'yappers' on the board still yapping ... and a lot of newvies I do not recognize so welcome aboard :) ...

Takce care and most of all HAVE FUN!

The nice thing about being a collector is that you can afford to be patient and choosy. MJ

Yes, I hope to buy more coins this year. Being a comic and currency collector, I have assembled so many nice collections, that itis time to go after coins this year. Last year I set a low market cap on what I wanted to spend on a single coin. It is time to remove that cap and email my favorite coin dealer for guidance...

This will be the year!

The nice thing about being a collector is that you can afford to be patient and choosy. MJ

MJ, that is a tremendous point you make! Especially given all the nasty discourse we sometimes see between dealers and collectors, I think you may have just put into words the decisive factor that defines a "collector".

You ought to start a thread on that topic. Seriously :) !

I'd say yes!

Most of my collecting is also bullion related so lower prices have made it possibles to start gathering pieces again. The past year has been spent selling so now I just need to find time to get back into the market.

I came out of hibernation a couple of years ago. I've made some auction purchases since then, but that's about it other than joining this forum. Sometimes I miss the old days when bid boards were popular.

I have a few coins that haven't seen the light of day for thirty years or so. I'm debating whether I want to submit them for "professional" grading. And I need to get motivated and move some stuff.

Or, I may just go back to sleep.

I came out of hibernation a couple of years ago. I've made some auction purchases since then, but that's about it other than joining this forum. Sometimes I miss the old days when bid boards were popular.

I have a few coins that haven't seen the light of day for thirty years or so. I'm debating whether I want to submit them for "professional" grading. And I need to get motivated and move some stuff.

Start taking some pics and posting them and maybe that will help your motivation. Welcome Bill!

Start taking some pics and posting them and maybe that will help your motivation. Welcome Bill!

Thanks. I just may do that!

I collected in the 1980's with a co-worker who was an avid collector and mentor. Changed jobs, raised a family and stopped collecting. My friend died very young in the mid-90's.

I dug out my collection after being terminated from my job in 2008. I went to a few shows just to see if I even had an eye for this, felt I still had some ability so decided to focus my collecting in a more tailored approach. I sold a few coins, then bought a few much nicer ones. I then discovered a few auctions in the midwest. I went to a few, cherry picked the nicest coins I could find and bought them. I then proceeded to either turn them over right away or send them in for grading to enhance their value with some level of certainty.

I now have turned over about half my holdings. I have a few less coins but the ones I have are very, very nice. It's become a fun hobby once again but I'm learning every day. With silver and gold moving so much the numismatic side of coins offers opportunities if you time things right.

My hibernation was only about three months during which I was extremely busy with the growth of my small business (doubled the size of our warehouse, w00p!), and the holidays with family. Came back with a vengeance (and a stuffed pocketbook) a couple weeks ago. =)

This year will probably look the same, Thanksgiving and Christmas are huge in my family, and that means less time to play with my coin photography and auction watching.

No, not really. I am still doing so out of choice. There are more important things to do with my money at the moment. Also, I still believe that I can buy at least some of the coins in my series (South Africa) for less later. So there is no reason to buy now. If I turn out to be wrong, I will simply move on to something else.

I have been a net seller, which except for a few selective purchases being made in about the past three years. I also netted out of all the other non essential collateral collecting that I had just somehow accumulated (proof sets, moderns, SAE's etc) over 50 year plus. I now have a manageable collection of about (100) coins with some date and series focus. At least I yielded good silver prices for all that stuff which I sold.

Things have changed in this hobby. I stopped buying and became a seller when the dealer market consolidated Stack's into another Heritage last year. I had been a customer of ANR or whatever for 50 years. Older, decent, dealers should not be pushed out of the hobby that way.

The Gold and silver market is still too unsettled for me as well. I would rather wait past the election. I have always owned some gold US coins but am near bottom for me now.

Plus I am retired and on a fixed income now.

I need to go into hibernation. I sold my house last month and paid off some debt and bought alot of coins. Now that Im just about out of debt, my mouth is starting to water for more coins. ha ha ha.

I went into hibernation for about 15 years, after finishing a full set of Barber halves in ChAU. After moving to Tucson in 2007, I began to actively collect coins again. The coin market had changed tremendously, so I decided to spend a lot more effort learning about various aspects of numismatics. My numismatic literature collection went from 8 items to about 600 during the last 5 years, and my collecting interests moved back in time (mostly early 19th century U. S. now). Unfortunately, most of the Tucson dealers are basically bullion traders, with few options for getting nice coins from venues other than internet dealers (I don't 'do' ebay).