• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1954 Franklin Half Dollar with missing 19

2 posts in this topic

I have a circulated 1954 Franklin half dollar that has no 19 in the date (only 54). It looks like this happened when it was made as all of the other lettering on the coin is sharp, there doesn't seem to be any rubbing or scraping around the area where the 19 is supposed to be, and the toning in that area is consistent with the rest of the coin.

I cannot find any information on if this type of error. Have you seen this before? Would this be considered valuable?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It seems from your description that your coin was struck from a partially filled die. Metal filings or the grease used on the dies and/or press may have filled the 19 in the die. I haven't seen this on 1954 halves, but such flaws occur randomly at any time. A commonly reported example is the 1943-S cent with the 4 incomplete or missing entirely. Minor mint errors like these don't seem to excite collectors very much, and the premium attached to them is slight. Your coin is more interesting than valuable.