• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Half dimes related questions

5 posts in this topic

I mostly collect half dimes and about 50% of my half dimes are in NGC holders.

But small coins like half dimes get buried in the thick white plastic inserts and they are annoying when I want to see the rim. I prefer PCGS holder to NGC for this reason.Do you have any idea to change the thickness of inserts according to the size/thickness of coins in future?

I also would like to know if you usually grade half dimes with or without loupe.

Thanks

Toyonakataro,

Our holder has undergone improvements fairly recently, and no other plans to change it are in the works at this time. Occasionally if a coin is not seated properly in the core it is harder to view and if this is the case you can have that fixed at no charge. Otherwise, we haven't had any other complaints in this area that I am aware of. There are many who prefer our holder over the competitions, but I am sorry to hear you prefer theirs. As for using a loupe, so long as your eyesight is good (corrected or otherwise) constant use of a glass is not advisable, IMO. However, on smaller coins such as half dimes I will normally use one or on larger coins when I see something that requires a close up look.

John

Occasionally if a coin is not seated properly in the core it is harder to view and if this is the case you can have that fixed at no charge.

I just purchased a buffalo nickel in a NGC holder. The coin is not seated properly - it is at an angle. I doubt that I will send it in to be corrected, but do wonder how a coin goes out like that? I doubt (but could be wrong) that the position changes after being slabbed so isn't there quality control to catch these problems?