• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DOES THE REGISTRY DRIVE YOUR COLLECTION, OR TRACK IT? posted by DM Merrill Associates, Inc.

12 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Just Curious

Those who had reasonably developed collections prior to joining the registry had some pre-determined direction to their collecting endeavors. We enter our coins into various regisry categories, then admire or view sorrowfully the results.

Those who are starting their collections as they join the registry have a greater challenge to select the "right" or most meaningful collecting categories for themselves:

-What do I like?

-What registry category can I complete quickly/ easily/ economically/ etc.?

-What do my "chat room friends" collect? I want to compete with; trade with; discuss my similar collection with them.

-Add whatever rationale that crosses your mind on this line---.

If we're lucky, we hit on a collecting strategy and content that provides us with long term satisfaction. If we're extremely unlucky, we wind up with a disjointed grouping of coins that has little in common, other than the fact that all are "round". For most, the result will be somewhere between the two extremes.

So my question of curiosity for tonight is, "Does the registry drive your collecting habits (if I buy X coin, I can move up 5 spots in XYZ category.); or do YOU guide your collection's development and direction, based on your tastes and collecting goals?

Neither answer is bad- JUST CURIOUS!

See more journals by DM Merrill Associates, Inc.

I personally dont look at which coins will bump me up in stats. I simply collect the coins that I like and use the registry to track them and thats about all. Granted I do have mine put in a few categories just for fun. But I'm not one thats out there to win a prize of any sorts for what it is that I enjoy to collect.

-Chris#2

I probably fall somewhere in between. I try to buy the best coins I can reasonably afford, but I always buy coins that I like. The registry serves to bring order and focus to my collection. To me the registry also serves as a virtual Whitman folder. Granted, there are sets I have targeted to be a little more competitive, but these are always sets I can reasonably afford. For the most part,I do not upgrade my coins unless they have a details grade or they are part of one of the sets I have targeted for competition. Where I do compete, it is more with the goal of having the best set possible rather than what coins do I need to acquire to be number one. Overall, I am very happy with my collection.

Gary

I started out long ago aquiring silver and gold in small amounts. I was concerned more than 20 years ago about inflation so I tried to squirrelhole some 'inflation hedges', for my distant future. Then somehow I came across a coin dealer in Texas [when silver got to $19.00 a bit ago] was willing to buy my stash I had amassed over the years of commemoratives, and odd silver and gold items. He showed me numismatics, and taught me how they could be worth more as time goes by even if inflation did not ruin my buying power. In other words, I could have the best of two worlds. If economic disasters did not hit, and I was holding physical metals which may stagnate for years, usually numismatics would rise in price over time enough to make it worth while. So I bought some nice ones, and we were off to the races. As economic future looked bleak to me, I proceeded to buy coins from many sources, and little by little amassed my current collection numbered at 170 - 180 I think today it is 186. I have not added nor taken away from my 'collection' in a while. I am an investor by outward appearances, and always say, "anything is for sale", but I find myself not wanting to sell what has become part of my family, and keep adopting more. I certainly am aware of my ranking but have not had it be a driver, but upon close inspection of my grey matter, I do find myself going one step futher to find my collection up a notch. BUT, then about two years ago, my personal economics shouted for me to stop buying coins, and use the money for other needs. So, I did. I pine for this and that item, but am always sure I take care of the 'compulsories' first. I guess I am partly a collector, and like to see my ego fed by better ranking, and owning expensive coins. But in the background, I see me owning these items for my financial future, and will be sold off when I need a trip to Africa, or need a new H1 Hummer. So, in answer, the Registry is fun, and a side trip to me enjoying my traveling. I think my videos and stories of my travels to Mt. Everest, The Great wall and The Taj Mahal is more fun than collecting. But not much more. So my answer is...TRACK IT. mostly...

Capt. Brian

This is a great question. For me- I only buy certified coins when I feel the price is right. So normally I do not search for one particular coin to fill a registery set unless it is a key towards filling the set or if it is unusually hard to find. I did make one exception- I wanted one #1 rated registery set and the easiest one for me was the 21st Century Proof Type set. I takes 19 PF70 coins- of which only 2 or 3 cost me as much as 40 or 50 dollars- except one- the Shield Lincoln Penny from 2010 or 2011. This was the last coin I needed to get the #1 ranking. The 2010's were going for over $110- so I ended up getting a 2011 for $78 with shipping- now they are going for $50-60 on Ebay- ouch!! I am still happy that I got that last coin- there are 9 others that also have the #1 rank. But it did teach me for the future not to let the rankings drive my purchases, but to stay with price as the driver for my purchases.

My goal with my quarter collection is to have the best set possible, without the registry I wouldn't know who to beat. I now have the #2 proof washington set 1950-1998 and I still don't know if my collection is any better than #3 and #4's set. Theirs is more complete than mine but there are people in spots 14 and 17 that have a complete set as well. I love the registry for the competition but more so for the chance to chat with other collectors.

I want the best NGC based sets possible, it stinks that pcgs has certain coins in grades that NGC has never/may never grade at all. IE 1976 PR70DCAM quarters in silver and clad there are 73 clad and 42 silver with only 1 in clad 0 in silver from NGC. There should be an acknowledgement of % of NGC and that somewhat taken into consideration for ranking. I have the best overall NGC based proof washington set. Its nice that PCGS coins are allowed on this registry but when there are stupid stats like the 1976 quarter or the 1973-1975 proof dimes in PR70DCAM or the Proof Ikes in PR70DCAM makes you wonder who is the better grading company.

NGC seems more strict when it comes to modern proofs and that is what I mainly collect. I buy the coin that is attractive and nice to me. I have a 1981 NGC T1 PF70UC and the same grade from PCGS and the reverse of the PCGS doesnt even have ultra cameo contrast on the some of the lettering its a clear night and day difference. Yet the PCGS coin sells for twice or thrice the NGC coin, explain that one. AND there is far more graded from PCGS 150 VS 19. I will just stick to what I have been doing and some day I'll own the set everyone else goes to, to see what coin is the best. The registry helps me build my collection and will never keep me from doing what I want to do. If I want to own 10 different examples of a certain date and type I can. Who doesnt want a PF69UC, PF69*CAMEO, PF69CAMEO, PF69* and PF69 of the same coin, imagine that in a multiholder to show the stages of cameo contrast.

I just hope that we all can get along and have our little discussions with something meaningful becoming of it.

Good luck to all who are competing or completing a set.

sig.jpg

I'm solidly in the "in-between" category. I have been collecting since elementary school, but in the past 20 years or so have focused on half dollars - the Walking Liberty and Franklin series, and reasonably high-grade type examples of the others. The only certified coins I have that are more recent than 1963 are half dollars for my type set, and a set of proof silver eagles.

I have goals for each of these sets, and don't pay much attention to the points within the set. The more relevant questions are: (1)does this coin fit my goal for the set, and (2)is it affordable, not (3)how many points will this get or will this move my set higher in the rankings. My goal for the Franklin set is to get all dates and mints in MS-64FBL or better, with the exception of the 1953-S which is unobtainable in FBL. My goals for the Walker set are more complicated: MS-66 or better for the 1936 - 1947 dates; MS-64 or better for the 1929 - 1935 dates, AU-50 or better for the 1916 - 1928 dates except for the 1919's (XF-40 or better) and 1921's (VF-20 or better). I'm almost there for both sets.

I'll never get to #1 in either of these sets. For a while my Walker sets were in the top 10 but I didn't expect that to last. The Registry helps organize my sets, gives me a way to compare my sets and individual coins to others, and helps track progress towards my goals.

The only time I get a little irritated about "points" is when I look at the glaring discrepancies between series. My 1947-S Jefferson, NGC MS-66 has a total population of 93 with 21 higher; these population numbers aren't much larger than those of my 1947-S NGC MS-67FT Roosevelt dime with a population of 62 with 3 higher. The Roosevelt dime scores 1,206 points, the Jefferson nickel a whopping 9. Even if I manage someday to snag one of the 11 Jeffersons in MS-67 (the highest graded), that would only rate 143 Registry points. At the same time, my 2006 Reverse Proof silver eagle, NGC PF-70 scores the same 1,206 points as the MS-67FT Roosevelt dime but has a population of almost 9,000.

I like well struck coins that are MOSTLY white and with no singularly distracting surface abrasions. I have come to loathe impaired luster on coins. I do have 1 or 2 darker, originaly toned coins. I don't know if this gives my set depth and range or inconsistency. It depends on the viewer that is judging it at the time. I like to think that it gives it the former.

My set is a very difficult, long term project, although I would like to be at least 75% complete, or more, within the next 3-5 years. I collect the highest grade possible (within reason) but will buy a lower graded coin, if it looks just as good or better than a higher graded one; to do otherwise would be absolutely foolish. I rarely buy below the MS 64 level or above the MS 65. Registry points are always in the back of my mind, though, and I take extra points, if I can get them, because I DO want to score as high as possible but it would be crazy to spend 1000s or 10's of 1000's of extra dollars just for those points. It's all about coins first but with an 'awareness' of points (within reason) after that. I also have a preference for the earlier, rarer dates in my set.

I have never been influenced in what I collect by other chat room friends, rather I look for friends with similar interests. I have also never bought or traded with any but I would, if the opportunity ever presented itself.

Ultimately, I am the one who drives my collecting habits but the Registry is a very important, strong and motivating secondary influence.

I collect what I like and can afford. In other words, I like a short set of mercury dimes (and can afford it) but also like a set of St. Guardens Eagles (but will never be able to afford). Points are not important but having the best set I can afford is important. The Registry helps me organize and focus my collection.

We have somewhat similar strategies with regard to Walkers. I've just about reached a point of diminishing returns on the late date coins. Though I could reach for higher grades, the current coins have enough eye appeal to satisfy me.

The mid-dates are where I am budgeting to upgrade. And, it will be necessary to look at circulated examples for my 1921's, 20's, and 19's open slots.

The set is a longterm project. And I'm in no hurry; the patient search is part of the fun.

Happy collecting,

Steve

With my collections...I do take note of the point change when I add coins but it is far from my driving force when making purchases. I do believe the NGC registry is one of the best places to track my coins and share with other collectors. At this time I am collection SAEs and the silver and clad modern commemoratives. I think the Mint has done a great job with both series and has introduced lots of people to coin collecting.

I never get tired of looking at my SAEs and look foward to them every year and it is amazing at the range of subjects that the commemoratives have touched on for almost 3 decades!

Still hoping for that firefighter and a 9/11 commemorative... :wishluck: