• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conder Collectors - Post Your Images
3 3

606 posts in this topic

I've not seen many of these tokens, other than the ones collected in the US as "colonials".  Fascinating. I'm guessing that these are collected by county and/or theme?  Very nice Coinsarefun. 

4 hours ago, LINCOLNMAN said:

I've not seen many of these tokens, other than the ones collected in the US as "colonials".  Fascinating. I'm guessing that these are collected by county and/or theme?  Very nice Coinsarefun. 

There are many ways to collect these, especially as it is impossible to collect one of each and there are several thousand varieties (not even counting all the edge varieties).  As you said, some focus on a single county, some collect only the Genuine Trade Tokens (GTTs), others focus on the political tokens of Spence or the animal tokens of Pidcock's.  Not surprisingly I have a special fondness for the farthing tokens.  Some are focused on collecting as broad a range of tokens, while others focus on collecting only the very best, and rarest examples.

There is such a variety of themes and designs that each collector can build the collection best suited to their interests.

3 hours ago, farthing said:

There are many ways to collect these, especially as it is impossible to collect one of each and there are several thousand varieties (not even counting all the edge varieties).  As you said, some focus on a single county, some collect only the Genuine Trade Tokens (GTTs), others focus on the political tokens of Spence or the animal tokens of Pidcock's.  Not surprisingly I have a special fondness for the farthing tokens.  Some are focused on collecting as broad a range of tokens, while others focus on collecting only the very best, and rarest examples.

There is such a variety of themes and designs that each collector can build the collection best suited to their interests.

Extremely well said farthing!

Hi Mike I'm new here but I have been active with the ANA. I have posted my tokens. Conder. A complete set of P Kempson Coventry set. All 19 in MS condition. I just started a set posting other Conder tokens I put up twelve but will be adding to it . I don't believe in slabs or grades but a complete Coventry set has to be protected. It took five years of people.looking in auction houses all over England and the U.S. Hundreds of sites in the U.S. And two years to find one to complete it. Now that's with people checking shows. The big sellers all keeping there eyes out. Nothing. Finally in England found one. Maybe two. And two years for one . The auctioneer said he had not seen any in ten years . All my Conder tokens are protected there graded but I can't stop that the entire set is MS 63 to 65 Red brown and a Proof like. Can't find another set. Even have Handel reverses. So if you have time take a peek. Mike

I also submitted 5 Spence tokens that have amazing surfaces

Middlesex Spence DH 691 from Alan Davisson, ex. Cokayne

Graded 66RB

MiddlesexSpenceDH691Sm.jpg

Middlesex Spence DH 707 ex. Alan Davisson Auction

Graded 65BN

MiddlesexSpenceDH707Sm.jpg

Middlesex Spence DH 708 ex. Alan Davisson Auction

Graded 65BN

MiddlesexSpenceDH708Sm.jpg

Middlesex Spence DH 713 ex. Alan Davisson Auction

Graded 64BN

MiddlesexSpenceDH713Sm.jpg

Middlesex Spence DH 776 ex. Alan Davisson Auction (all 4 from the same auction)

Graded 65RB

MiddlesexSpenceDH776Sm.jpg

Edited by farthing
fixed typo

Just had grades posted for the second half of my submission.  Below are 5 of the 9 tokens. All photos by JKCoins.

Buckinghamshire Slough DH 22 from a 2009 Stacks auction.  These were actually minted in the late 1830's but were included in the series.

Graded 65BN

BuckinghamshireSloughDH22Sm.jpg

Gloucestershire Gloucester DH 9 from Bill McKivor

Graded 64BN

GloucestershireGloucesterDH9Sm.jpg

Kent Hawkhurst DH 30 from eBay

Graded 65RB

KentHawkhurstDH30Sm.jpg

Middlesex Bayly's DH 253 from Gatewest Coins

Graded 64BN

MiddlesexBaylyDH253Sm.jpg

Warwickshire Coventry DH 271 from Jerry Bobbe

Graded 66BN

WarwickshireCoventryDH271Sm.jpg

On 1/24/2011 at 9:44 PM, Hard Times said:

Hey everyone, there does not seem to be a thread completely dedicated to Conder images. Or if there is, its been a long time since posting on it. How about if we have one?

I'll start with one of my favorite farthings:

DH-112ASomersetshireNGCMS63blkcomp.jpg

Please post yours, let's see how far we can go :banana:

On 1/25/2011 at 5:28 PM, Hard Times said:

Stunning Yarm, lets see more examples folks.........

Hi Mike here. I just posted my complete set of Kempsons complete Coventry set of 19 tokens all in MS. Some were RB brown some P.l.I'm not here to  outdo anyone.it took five years and I didn't post them in competitive sets . I put the in non competitive sets. I started posting in the end of February to march. After qI posted some beautiful tokens all won at English auctions.NGC was impressed with the Coventry set they put my  name on the label. I never knew of your set . I just signed up on the Registry Site when in-store the introduction and posted my st. Many believe it's the only complete constructs around.  Oh forgot the Handel  reverse. Then set of random tokens go from MS 63 to MS 66 with I think a couple of A/U.maybe two. I'm not here to outdo anyine. I just collect conders. Finding bb in skating but these were done by one of the master die sinkers and designers and manufactures. Peter Kempson. His work has been called art in coooer. Take a look I hope you enjoy them as I did yiurs. Thanks Mike

20 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Those are some gorgeous pieces. Was it intentional or coincidence that four of the five have shields on the obverse (date) side?

Just a coincidence, shields are used as a design on many of the tokens in the series - heraldic iconography is quite extensively documented in England with definitions for every part of a shield, arms, supporters, etc.  For some, if there was not a recognized heraldic definition for their family a shield image was made up!

The description of the heraldic imagery on the Coventry token would be "The Arms of the City of Coventry: Per pale gules and vert, an elephant, on his back a tower triple-towered, all or.  Crest: A leopard passant proper (on the token the tinctures of the elephant and the tower are shown as argent). "

Edited by farthing
Added Coventry description

Last set of 4 tokens from this batch.  All images by JKCoins.

Warwickshire Birmingham DH 170 in white metal from eBay

Graded MS 63

WarwickshireBirminghamDH170WMSm.jpg

Invernesshire Inverness DH 1a from Baldwin's St. James auction

Graded 65RB

InvernesshireDH1aSm.jpg

Invernessshire Inverness DH 3a from same auction lot as previous

Graded 66RB

InvernesshireDH3aSm.jpg

Invernessshire Inverness DH 4 from same auction lot as previous.  The token has excess metal along edge - not damage

Graded 64BN

InvernesshireDH4Sm.jpg

There were 2 additional Invernesshire tokens in the lot, both of which are MS.

Edited by farthing
fixed typo

Just receive my grades for a Crossover submission.  All pictures are by NGC using their Photo Vision service.  I am quite happy with the photos.

Middlesex National Series DH 183 in White Metal from a Heritage auction.  PCGS grade 62, NGC grade 61 PL - only one graded by NGC

MiddlesexNationalDH183WMSm.jpg

Middlesex Political & Social Series DH 216 from a Davisson auction.  PCGS 64BN, NGC 63BN

The token has more of a milk chocolate appearance.

MiddlesexPoliticalSocialDH216.jpg

Middlesex Burchell's DH 274 Bis in White Metal from a Heritage auction.  PCGS 63, NGC 63 - only one graded by NGC

MiddlesexBurchellDH274BisWM.jpg

Middlesex Ching's DH 282 from a Davisson auction.  PCGS 64BN, NGC 65BN

MiddlesexChingDH282.jpg

Middlesex Spence DH 804c from a Davisson auction.  PCGS 62BN, NGC 62BN

MiddlesexSpenceDH804c.jpg

Middlesex Stinton's DH 904 from a Davisson auction.  PCGS 64BN, NGC 64BN

MiddlesexStintonDH904.jpg

I have two very common and worn Conder tokens that have been countermarked. Both have a Roman numeral 1 to the left of the bust and a capital C to the right. I take it they were used by someone, somewhere as one cent pieces. Does anyone  know more about them?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom Pesacreta

1792obverse.jpg

1792reverse.jpg

1793obverse.jpg

1793reverse.jpg

3 hours ago, doctortom said:

I have two very common and worn Conder tokens that have been countermarked. Both have a Roman numeral 1 to the left of the bust and a capital C to the right. I take it they were used by someone, somewhere as one cent pieces. Does anyone  know more about them?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom Pesacreta

1792obverse.jpg

1792reverse.jpg

1793obverse.jpg

1793reverse.jpg

So - did the Welsh, in 1795, predict the outcome of the Guinness Harp trade mark dispute in 1922?

The harp, which serves as the Guinness emblem, is based on a famous 14th century Irish harp known as the "O'Neill" or "Brian Boru" harp which is now preserved in the Library of Trinity College Dublin. The harp device has been synonymous with Guinness since 1862 when it was used as a symbol on the first bottle label for GUINNESS®. It was registered as a Guinness company trademark in 1876. It is because of the harp trademark that Guinness named its first lager 'Harp' in 1960.

Guinness harp as it appeared in 1862

1862 harp

Current look of the Guinness harp

current harp

The harp is one of three elements that make up the GUINNESS® livery. The other two elements are the GUINNESS® word and Arthur Guinness's famous signature. There have been a number of changes to the design of the harp device over the years including a reduction in the number of strings shown. The current harp was introduced in 2005 when a new brand livery was launched.

The harp is also the official national emblem of the Republic of Ireland and can be found on the Republic's coinage. However, there is a difference between the Irish government harp and the Guinness harp. As Guinness had trademarked the harp symbol in 1876, the Irish Free State Government of 1922, had to turn the official government harp the other way to differentiate between the trademarked Guinness harp and the official State emblem. The distinguishing feature between the two harps is that the Guinness Harp always appears with its straight edge (the sound board) to the left, and the government harp is always shown with its straight edge to the right.

Edited by Zebo

Neither of the host tokens are listed in my reference with the I C countermark.  The countermarks are likely the initials I and C as they have serifs.  Also, if the countermark was to give the token a new value the countermark would have been 1 D (denarius).