• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Care to grade my 1883-O Morgan & Will reveal grade in a few days..

32 posts in this topic

Gonna take a stab and be conservative and say 63.

Above the ear and the field on the obverse, odd stripes on cheek.

Above the head of the eagle, breast and field off right wing.

The above the ear might be weak strike but I doubt it, I think all these would keep it off 65, and go 63.

I know that the New Orleans minted coins often have weak strikes; however, the weakness about the ear would preclude a grade of MS65 IMO. There are also some ticks. I have MS64 coins (slabbed by old ANACS, PCGS, and NGC) that all have fewer tick marks. I'll guess MS62-MS63 by current standards (provided that the dark spots on the eagle's breast are not wear). Since I don't think that ANACS used an eleven point MS scale back then, I'd bet that it was graded at MS63.

I cannot wait to hear the results...This is fun.

Different year different mint. 1883-O is known for weak to average strike. Strike is above average. I see no major field or device issues from the pics.

MS64 and I would not be surprised at MS65.

$ilverHawk

Different year different mint. 1883-O is known for weak to average strike. Strike is above average. I see no major field or device issues from the pics.

$ilverHawk

I understand that, but he is asking for what ANACS graded the coin in 1983, not what it would grade today. MS64 was not used then, and they graded the obverse and reverse independently. I agree, it is probably a 64 by today's standards, but there is no way that 64 is on the certificate he has.

odd stripes on cheek.

Those are ordinary roller marks, a common characteristic of certain Morgan dollar issues. When present, they very often suggest a weak strike, and that in turn was a common problem in New Orleans.

It's in that MS63+ to MS64 by today's standards, but in an old ANACS small slab, I'd guess MS63. The photo looks very , very slightly angled. Any chance this coin has some PL qualities?

I still don't think it rates a 65/65. I'm wondering if it hasn't been knocked around a bit since it was first graded.

Chris

I have handled in the last 3 or 4 years, about 10 or so Morgans with the ANACS photo certificates. This series more than any tends to be more loosely graded, especially at the 65/65 level. I would guess that of the 10 I had/have, 5 were a point over graded, 3 or 4 were spot on, and 1 or 2 were a point undergraded.

Here are some results of coins that I have sent in to be graded under current standards.

1934 Medium Motto Quarter. ANACS grade MS65/65. PCGS grade MS67 :)

1917 P Dime. ANACS grade MS65/65 PCGS grade. MS66FB

1864 2 Cent piece. ANACS grade MS65/63. PCGS grade MS62RB. (Thought this was a 63 for sure.)

1881 S Morgan ANACS grade MS64/67 (late certifcate after they started using 62 and 64. ) PCGS grade MS64.

1879 S Morgan. ANACS grade MS65/65 PCGS grade MS64PL.

1880 1 cent ANACS grade PF60/60. PCGS grade PF63BN

You should look at the population reports for O mint Morgans. There are thousands of O mint Morgans graded by NGC and PCGS graded MS65 and higher. Howevr, it would not surprise me to find that the overall population comparisons between P, S and O mint Morgans would show fewer gem quality O mint Morgans for a specific year.

It is important to understand that TPG grading as well as personal grading take into account minting characteristics for specific years and mints. This is not true only for Morgan Dollars but other type issues as well. Proper grading takes these minting differences into account when assigning grades

As an example, if you compare a P mint Morgan from 1883 graded MS65 it will in almost all circumstances surpass the techncal strike characteristics of an O mint MS65 from the same year. Philadelphia simply struck coins better than New Orleans

Walker Halfs from San Francisco are notoriously weakly struck. This fact is taken into account when grading.

The mint and mint year must be considered when grading.

$ilverHawk

(Oh, and I better go back :sick: to grading school - only missed by five points.)

James, I wouldn't go that far. I still think the coin has acquired a few dings through the plastic since it was graded.

Chris

I still don't think it rates a 65/65. I'm wondering if it hasn't been knocked around a bit since it was first graded.

Chris

I kinda agree - The reverse is real nice but the obverse brings it down a point

or so ... coming in late I would have said 64

(Oh, and I better go back :sick: to grading school - only missed by five points.)

James, I wouldn't go that far. I still think the coin has acquired a few dings through the plastic since it was graded.

Chris

I agree 100%. I would only grade the coin MS62-MS63 today.

$ilverHawk

I understand that, but he is asking for what ANACS graded the coin in 1983, not what it would grade today. MS64 was not used then, and they graded the obverse and reverse independently. I agree, it is probably a 64 by today's standards, but there is no way that 64 is on the certificate he has.

When did ANACS start using MS64?