• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1943 D Copper Penny

11 posts in this topic

My uncle died nearly a year ago and he left this copper penny. He had it for many many years prob over 30 years. The thing that makes me worry it is a fake is for some reason the color of both sides of the coin are different tone. One side is very dark brown, and the other side is yellowish/brownish. I checked it does not stick to the a magnet, doesnt look like it was tampered with, no marks or smuding. The 9 is long tailed and def not an 8 cut in half. Any reason the coin could be two colors?

First, I was glad to hear it didn't stick to a magnet. Next, you need to worry about altered dates. If the coin is real, you have a great find. If it's a fake, it's worth a penny.

One thing that worries me is the toning. That could mean that the coin may have been cleaned, but without any pictures that would be hard to tell. And, without pictures, or a scan it would be hard to tell if the date has been altered as well.

Here is a link to my 43 mint set. Click on the small thumbnails of the pennies, and compare the dates to see if the date might have been modified. The date should look exactly like that, pay special attention to the 3 in the date. Also, look around the three even if it looks like this one. There may have been metal raised to make the tail of the three.

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetGallery.aspx?PeopleSetID=88817

It looks good to me, i will post some pictures up in the coming days, i did get it graded at PCGS and they said it was undermined but i am not sure why they didnt tell me a reason. I want to get it graded at NGC and see what they say or take it to a coin convention so i can more information on it. On a side note i saw in Sept this year it seems a 1943 D Copper Penny went for 1.7 Mill that is crazy

Here's the story and picture of said coin. It is the only known example of a 43D copper cent. Yours could be the second.

Where?

and here is to hoping the OP has a real 43 D.. That would be super cool