• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess The Grade 1885 CC VAM 3 with Die Crack [Grade Posted]

20 posts in this topic

DSC06641.jpg

DSC06640.jpg

This Coin Came back as UNC Details Due to improper cleaning.

When I sent this coin in I was expecting EF/AU back,

I was shocked to see the unc, but after I posted this I found a few other Vam 3's that have very similar weakness(both sides) and die polishing(on the rev) graded MS-60 through 63. so I guess the guys at NGG know what they are doing.

My Question is the following, do I resubmit the coin in hopes of getting the improper cleaning removed or sell the coin as an UNC in the cleaned slab?

When you hold the coin in hand with a 60watt light and a bausch & lomb 7X I cannot see any major evidence of cleaning but its possible I don’t know what to look for. Local dealers felt that it was a AU/EF and not cleaned. I just have no idea what to do. Someone said may be a good idea to send it to NCS and have it cleaned properly. I just dont know.

This Coin Came back as UNC Details Due to improper cleaning.

When I sent this coin in I was expecting EF/AU back,

I was shocked to see the unc, but after I posted this I found a few other Vam 3's that have very similar weakness(both sides) and die polishing(on the rev) graded MS-60 through 63. so I guess the guys at NGG know what they are doing.

My Question is the following, do I resubmit the coin in hopes of getting the improper cleaning removed or sell the coin as an UNC in the cleaned slab?

When you hold the coin in hand with a 60watt light and a bausch & lomb 7X I cannot see any major evidence of cleaning but its possible I don’t know what to look for. Local dealers felt that it was a AU/EF and not cleaned. I just have no idea what to do. Someone said may be a good idea to send it to NCS and have it cleaned properly. I just dont know.

I don't know what NCS charges or what they would do to clean it, but my opinion is that in it's current state is an ugly coin. Maybe they say cleaned because all the fields are clear while there is toning/color around all the details and it does make it look like someone wiped the flat spots and couldn't get around the rest of it.

I would say if NCS cleans it and it comes back blast white then it is probably worth it (depending on cost of course). I think it will show the UNC details better if it is white and just make it a more appealing coin.

Good luck and if you have it cleaned please post the results. I would love to see how it comes out.

I understand that removing most sings of cleaning cannot be done, but in the case I feel the only way one would feel it was cleaned is from the toning, if that was removed to a “blast” white do you think it would grade in a non-details slab?

One other question is a AU55 worth more then an UNC in a details slab?

I understand that removing most sings of cleaning cannot be done, but in the case I feel the only way one would feel it was cleaned is from the toning, if that was removed to a “blast” white do you think it would grade in a non-details slab?

One other question is a AU55 worth more then an UNC in a details slab?

Sorry! My previous comment was meant to be "tongue-in-cheek", and what I meant by it is that once a coin has been improperly cleaned, it cannot be reversed.

I'll let someone else answer the AU55 vs. MS Details question because, for me, there are other factors involved and I don't know how to best explain it.

Chris