• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

this is some BS!!!

48 posts in this topic

If 1 out of 7 of your coins came back as cleaned, you might have a point. Considering that 4 out of 7 came back cleaned, I would be looking at my own grading skills instead of the TPG's, and I would also not be buying any more coins from that source.

If 1 out of 7 of your coins came back as cleaned, you might have a point. Considering that 4 out of 7 came back cleaned, I would be looking at my own grading skills instead of the TPG's, and I would also not be buying any more coins from that source.
Not just from that source, but any source, until grading skills have improved.

In answer to the question about notes - I doubt that the grading companies have or keep them.

In answer to the question about notes - I doubt that the grading companies have or keep them.

The reason why I asked is because CGC keeps graders notes on books. They are not available online however, you can call and speak to a grader and he will supply you with the notes. I'm suprised that NGC doesn't do this.

The reason why I asked is because CGC keeps graders notes on books. They are not available online however, you can call and speak to a grader and he will supply you with the notes. I'm suprised that NGC doesn't do this.

I don't know, but it may have something to do with the volume of submissions. If CGC receives thousands and thousands of comic books on a weekly basis, it might take months to have them graded.

Chris

I too would like to see them.

But as for your comment about the one you know was cleaned.

Well if done properly a acetone bath will not stop your coin from grading.

i have posted pictures of them in previous posts, the thing that really pisses me off is the one coin i know for a fact had been cleaned, because i did it (dipped in acetone), was graded problem free!!!! really inexcusable on NGC's part. something must be going on over there,.. maybe staring at coins all day makes you go crazy, who knows.

A coin is labeled "cleaned," not because of the act of cleaning the coin, but because the surfaces were damaged, in some way, by the cleaning process, i.e., hairline scratches, polished surfaces, or dulled luster (usually from acid dipping).

A coin dipped in acetone will not result in it being called cleaned unless you damaged it in the process, and acetone itself will not harm coins.

Learning how to tell if a coin has been improperly cleaned requires a knowledge of what an un-damaged coin, of whatever particular type it is, should look like.

If you ever have the opportunity, you should find a knowledgeable collector or dealer who will spend a bit of time with you, reviewing coins and providing some pointers on grading.

PM sent to ZBoyle4

Good Man :)

zboyle definitely meet up with some of the members if any live close to you and have them teach you how to grade.

Good advice.I would also try to attend the ANA coin grading class,which I

thought was a great learning experience.

Al

PCGS said it was cleaned as well. I just bought a NGC MS64 on ebay last week for $510, so i am happy to have a nice MS 1921 in my set now! I can say i am much better at discerning a cleaned coin from original, and that 1921 doesn't look a lot different from my newly purchased one, oh well.