• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weekend Auction Pickups

5 posts in this topic

OK, first the coins then the story:

Coin 1 is 1901 O Morgan in one of the old IGA Photograde flips.

1901OFlip.jpg

Coin 2 is 1901 O Morgan in same photograde flip.

1900OFlip.jpg

Coin 3 is 1901 O raw (bought this before I bought the flip or I would have passed)

1901OObv.jpg1901ORev.jpg

Now the story. Went to this auction that had a ton of coins, about 450 lots. About 100 lots of Morgans and only one commemorative half (1893 columbian that looked very polished) so I wasn't real excited anyway. The bidding started with mint sets and proof sets and they were averaging about $3 per mint set so I thought this might be a good day.

I had about 8 coins picked out to bid on. They did group bids and they would put together 5 morgans and start the bidding. High bidder got to pick which of the 5 morgans he wanted or if he wanted could take a couple or all for that price. Then the backup bidder could buy any that remained at the high bid price if interested. When it started it worked out that high bidder took one or maybe 2 coins and then bidding started again and would usually end up being less for the lesser coins in the lot. Finally it gets to the morgans and I am ready to get some good deals.

NOPE. In comes Bidder #6. (if you are on here I would like to say don't come next time or I would like to make you an offer on about 5 morgans you got that you overpaid for) Thsi guy bought all the morgans with very few exceptions. He paid high bid price for all coins in each lot for a run of about 50 morgans...way over what most the coins were worth. It made for a painful day...in the end I got desperate and paid too much for the flip coins shown above and only had one other purchase, a 1991 Pristige set. It was good to be back though and can't wait until the next one in October.

I'll show the picture grades in a bit after some looks from here. The picture grades are from 1987.

i like all the morgans they have really good eye appeal

grading just from the photos

and i usually find i cant grade coins from photos especially uncs and proofs

----------------- and sight seen could be different

here goes

they are all commercial uncs.

so i grade them all

au-62+

By 1987 standards, I would guess #1 to be MS-63, #2 MS-64 and #3 MS61.Think they had expanded the grading scale to all numbers between 60 & 70 by then.

Today, I would guess just what Jerseycat posted. 64, 65, 63

1901 MS63 Focal area hits detract

1902 MS64 no reverse photo

Second 1901-O MS65 solid for the grade Obverse and Reverse

Current day grades.

$ilverHawk