• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A couple Denver Mint Franklins from the early 1960's.

9 posts in this topic

When putting together my toner Franklin set I found that the among the toughest, if not the toughest, coins to find with any halfway decent toning were the 1960-D, the '61-D and the '62-D. I posted my '60-D some time ago (and will be posting a new image of it soon), but have never posted the '61 and 2 D Franklins. I actually had a very attractive '62-D (NGC MS65) that over a period of time I came to believe was AT, and traded it (and some cash) in on this one. IMO this one is not as attractive either toning wise or technically, but it is the real deal and therefore a better coin for me. Also, in hand, it is a pleasant enough coin. The images were done by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job on them.

PCGS MS65FBL

1962dFrankFBLobv006HR.jpg

1962dFrankFBLrev012HR.jpg

NGC MS65

1961DFrankObv_005.jpg

1961DFrankRev_005.jpg

I like the 61D alot! And Bob's images are great as always. I'm just hoping when he mails them back he mixes up a few of yours with a few of mine I have with him right now. ;)

Love the '61-d, and I really like the '62-d as well. The '62-d looks to have some great luster and clean for a 65 too. :)

Here's a 1960p in an old school ngc ms65 holder. I believe this coin has a good chance to upgrade and the toning is very iridescent and almost impossible to photograph too.

Images by Bob Campbell as well.

1960FranklinObv.jpg

1960FranklinRev.jpg

Why are the years 60/61/62 significantly differrent in regards to toning as opposed to lets say '58? Is it a composition difference, or just one of life's little qirks?

Why are the years 60/61/62 significantly differrent in regards to toning as opposed to lets say '58? Is it a composition difference, or just one of life's little qirks?

The Mint started placing it's Mint Sets into plastic flatpacks in 1959. In the years previous to that the Mint Sets were made out of paper and cardboard, which had sulfur as part of their constituents, so the coins were much more likely to tone up pre-1959.

1959 Franklins are also significantly harder to find than 1948-58 Franklins, but for whatever reason it was the 1960's D mints that were the hardest for me to find. 1963-D is somewhat of an outlier in this regard, as, while they are not common to find toned in MS65, they are significantly easier to find than the rest of the the '60's D mints. I STRONGLY suspect that this has to do with the number minted... roughly 67,000,000, compared to ~35,000,000 '62-D's, ~20,000,000 '61-D's, and ~18,000,000 '60-D's. ALL of these mintages are significantly more than their comparable P mint years, but I'm guessing that the D mint coins were mainly used in the West, which has low humidity, whereas the P mint coins were mainly used in the East which has significantly higher humidity, which can lead to a chemical reaction between silver and sulfur (or other pollutants) in the air.

but I'm guessing that the D mint coins were mainly used in the West, which has low humidity, whereas the P mint coins were mainly used in the East which has significantly higher humidity, which can lead to a chemical reaction between silver and sulfur (or other pollutants) in the air.

Thats a really interesting theory...thanks!