• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

World Gold Thread

30 posts in this topic

I believe it is important to establish a World Gold thread.

Here, i'll start:

vatican_obv.jpg

vatican_rev.jpg

Bought it raw at my local store. When I got it home, photographed it and examined the photo, I was amazed how clean it looked; just a few ticks. A few spots mean to me that it's probably not been dipped.

Can't say I am a religious fellow, but I do like this design!

This particular coin took me over eight years to find, oddly enough I was working on Christmas Eve 2009 and there is was on eBay, raw and waiting...

2757965_002o.jpg

2757965_002r.jpg

I believe NGC was a tad conservative with their grading (I think it's an AU58) but I won't complain.

Some people consider the French Marianne Roosters as strictly gold buillon coins. Try finding pristine examples of the 1899-1906 dates.

Go ahead, I'll wait... :grin:

Purchased this at the same time as the Rooster, an 1882-H Newfoundland $2 Gold...

2757965_001o.jpg

2757965_001r.jpg

Love the young Victoria portrait!

Old coins should have ugly dead guys, not pretty young girls. ;)

But I like pretty girls. With big hats. And bears...:grin:

1910GoldBern-1.jpg

1910GoldBern-2.jpg

Nice World Coins. Here is a Swiss piece, 1930 B 20 Francs NGC MS65. Sorry for the picture size difference, need to make some Photobucket adjustments.

Rey

1930BSwiss20FObvMS65.jpg1930BSwiss20FRevMS65.jpg

Rey, I'm jealous. I had really wanted to get one of those a while back and got a good deal on one, then the seller suddenly "couldn't find it in inventory." Right...

Couldn't let a world gold thread go by without posting one of mine :)

My latest purchase

Belgium - Flanders

Cavalier d'or (gold rider)

NGC AU-55

IMG_2759500x500.jpgIMG_2761_500x500.jpg

You have a BEAUTIFUL collection. I really enjoyed looking at it.

Thank you for posting. That was fantastic the way you organized it.

Best to YOU,

SWK

As a side not I have some 20 gold coins slabbed by ANACS. I recently experimented on a Walking 1936 S half MS64 - how to knock it out.

I simply placed it in my large VICE with some protection for the plastic very very snuggly. THEN took a haxsaw and after a few stroke the top came off some 1/2 inch above the coin. Then carefully I used a screwdriver to widen the ESCAPE for the coin.

ABRA-CADABRA

I'm ready to submit.

Too bad they do NOT have point grades for NGC ANCIENTS. I have them back Before CHRIST.

Thanks for the compliment SWK ... how about posting some pictures of your gold!

Here's another one of my favorites for you !

IMG_2633med.jpgIMG_2632med.jpg

Type: Ecu d’or au Porcepic

Date: ND (1498-1515)

Certification: NGC Grade: AU 58

Coin Information:

Design: OBVERSE: Crowned arms flanked by two porcupines. Legend: ✚LVDOVICVS : DEI: GRACIA: FRANCORVM: REX♣ [Louis, By the Grace of God, King of France] ~ REVERSE: Floriated cross in two angles an “L” and in two angles a porcupine. The dot under the 12th letter denotes the mint. Legend: ✚XPS: VINCIT: XPS: REGNAT: XPS: IMPERAT♣ [Christ Overcomes, Christ Reigns, Christ Orders]. The obverse & reverse legends are punctuated by two superimposed beaded rings.

Mint: Lyons

Mintage: Unknown

References: Fr. 325 / Dy.655 / C.909

Specifications: Diameter – 26.0mm

Weight – 3.420 g. @ 0.9630 Gold = .1059 oz AGW

Acquired: January 2010

Notes:

- King Louis XII was also known as the “The Father of the People”. During the reign of Louis XII (1498-1515), France was in an era of prosperity and economic development; at the same time experiencing an extreme enlightenment of arts, literature and science.

- The actual mint date of this coin is November 19,1507.

- Noted French numismatic house, CGB.FR, has this coin noted as a Rarity R2 on a scale of Common >R-R3.

- Very rare in this grade and condition (strong strike, full planchet)!!

Don't feel too bad...

I don't, I bought it out of a local dealers world coin junk box. I think I paid 11 cents for it or something close lol

Interesting Netherlands 1966 restrike of a 1606 Zeeland 4 Ducat gold piece...

1606-1.jpg

1606-2.jpg

Still not in any reference catalog. And fairly scarce, I have only seen two in my life. I bought them both.

I sold the coin pictured here on eBay (see the eBay watermark?) when gold was $600 an ounce and kept the other.

In retrospect I should have kept both of them.

Here's a few "world" gold coins that I own right now. Sorry for the poor scan.

Poor scan or not that 1881 Newfoundland $2 jumped right out at me. NICE! :grin:

In 1960 the Netherlands had the good taste to reissue the beautiful 1750 Gold Rider coin in both ducat size (7 gulden) and double ducat size (14 gulden). Suddenly anyone could own a perfect restrike of a classic 210 year old Dutch design for a little over the price of bullion.

The Netherlands rejoiced.

The Austrians saw this and began thinking of which coin they could reissue. It had to have a soldier on a horse. Preferably a bigger horse than the Dutch coin. And it had to be at least 100 years older. And shields. It had to have LOTS of shields!

It took three years of careful deliberation but in 1963 the Austrians finally selected the 1642 2 Ducat coin to restrike. A timeless design that featured both Archduke Ferdinand Karl on horseback with the city of Vienna in the background and St. Leopold (clad in armor) holding the Viennese flag. And plenty of shields. Over a dozen.

They struck thousands in silver but only 1000 in gold.

The Austrians rejoiced. Here is the coin.....

XM29-1.jpg

XM29-2.jpg

Recent new addition with a great obverse....

1166943_Full_Obv.jpg

1166943_Full_Rev.jpg

Also picked up a nice 1865 (first year of series) that needs to go to NGC, currently in a ICCS holder.

1779 Potosi (Bolivia) 8 Escudos MS63 NGC

While Bolivia is known for Potosi, the mountain that has produced some 6% of the world's silver, gold coins of this Spanish possession were late comers! This coin represents the second year of Bolivia gold coinage. Possibly, finest known for type!

1779Potosi8EsudoObv.jpg

Gary