• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SkyMan gets down and dirty. Offroading anyone?

12 posts in this topic

Two of our (more or less) circulating coins commemorate the Apollo 11 Moon landing. The reverses of the Anthony and Ike dollars are modified copies of the Apollo 11 mission patch.

72IkeObv_006.jpg

72IkeRev_006.jpg

SBA79S_P69DCamOb.jpg

SBA79S_P69DCamRev.jpg

As many of you know, I collect space memorabilia from the Mercury, Gemini, Apollo (MGA) era. Just as a coin collector can try to put together a coin series, I have been trying to put together a set of FLOWN items from each of the 27 MGA flights (6, 10 and 11 respectively). Heritage had an auction today where I won 3 out of the 4 lots I bid on. I won two flown mission patches. The first one was for Gemini 7, the first mission (in conjunction with Gemini 6) to ever rendezvous in space. The second patch was for Apollo 9, the first mission to use the Lunar Module (LM)... in this case test flying it in earth orbit. The LM was the first manned spacecraft ever to be designed to be solely flown in space. The one lot I did NOT win was an Apollo 9 flown eye patch (for night adjusting the eyesight of the pilot so that he could use the sextant to view stars for navigational purposes).

gemini7.jpg

lf.jpg

A9.jpg

lf-3.jpg

I was a VERY lucky camper today to win an item that I had been wanting to get for some time. The first car ever driven on a planetary body other than the earth was the Lunar R_over, LRV001. It flew on Apollo 15. To memorialize this, the mission commander carried with him some small "license plates" whenever he was on the Moon's surface. So, here is one of the license plates for the first "car" on another world.

Apollo15LRV.jpg

A15PanSmall.jpg

lf-6.jpg

lf-8crop.jpg

When I first opened the thread, I was thinking that you had bought a lunar outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed, or a part of it, or a surplus, or something like that. Turns out you did! Awesome additions to your collection, Sy, which is turning into quite the museum quality collection!

Sy has two wings in his compound dedicated to his space museum. Ultra cool stuff Sy. Congratulations on the License Plate. I know how bad you felt after missing the last one.

Thanks, guys! Glad you like the assorted objects. I'm a VERY happy camper to have gotten the license.

Sy has two wings in his compound dedicated to his space museum....

Yee-hahhh! Boy, I'd be happy if I had two wings on my house, much less owned a compound.

Great looking stuff Sy, and I see you finally got that license plate! Now all you have to do is slap that thing on the back of your car and you would get some attention, at least from your local PD ;)

Sy,

Definitely very interesting and historic items that you have managed to collect. Very impressive and I can imagine how fun and exciting it is to search for these type of items, finding them and obtaining what you want. As others have indicated, that license plate is just plain "cool".

Amazing stuff and please continue to share with us.

Rey