• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice needed on What to do with Proof Sets.....

4 posts in this topic

Hi. I'm a mom that gave my kids proof sets each year and they now want to sell since they have no interest in them. Do they get certified like individual coins? What is the best way to sell them for the best price since my kids need the money?

Generally you are best off just selling the sets as a whole, to a reputable dealer, or on eBay. The only time I would say to break them up and slab them would be if you're talking OLD sets, from the 60's or earlier, that show some cameo contrast. If you decide to certify them, know that you'll pay around $20/coin, and that's around $100+ per set (1998 and earlier) or $200+ per set (1999 to now). Chances are you'll get one PF-70 out of maybe 15-20 modern sets, and the rest will be PF-69 or lower. The 69's aren't worth the certification cost, so generally you will lose money.

Again, I would sell them as is, with government packaging.