• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Problem with a recently purchased coin

17 posts in this topic

I jsut purchased a quarter off ebay, 1972 in 68 ucam. Nothing special just your everyday run of the mill coin.

Anyhow, when I tried to register it, it came up as a half dollar. I currently have the coin in my possession and guarantee that the coin is in fact a quarter and is in fact a ucam.

But, I know that sometimes problems occur and maybe the coin was mislabled? Anyhow, here's the slab number: 1584874-020

Is there anything that can be done about this?

Here is a picture of the coin in question.

US14783-3.jpg

Was wondering, I'm sure there was a quarter and half in that particular submission. Is it possible to swap the serials to reflect that the quarter now owns this particular serial and that the half would own the quarters serial? Just a thought at a quick fix. I don't mind the coin being mislabeled. And plus, Jason thinks this coin is now worth several thousand dollars as a mistake coin! lol I'm sure this is per recent ebay auctions!

Absolutely no excuse for the mislabeling. Does production line ring a bell. Take note all TPG's are in it for the money.

Makes you wonder just how much attention is actually paid to the coin. :makepoint:

Just a mistake - it will be taken care of with a little effort.

If you search the numbers by the coin

019 & 021 you see a quarter Maybe?

If business was easy everyone would be in business...

Things happen...

Absolutely no excuse for the mislabeling. Does production line ring a bell. Take note all TPG's are in it for the money.

Makes you wonder just how much attention is actually paid to the coin. :makepoint:

You think that is bad, Schatzy posted an interesting eBay link with someone claiming a mislabeled coin as a "rare" error a couple of weeks ago. The coin didn't sell. I also saw a 1958 wheat cent certified by NGC as MS68 RD on eBay when the coin was clearly proof. The coin sold for more than $1000.

While I don't think the errors are too common, I have seen an increasingly larger number up for sale, but this may be explained by a rise in unscrupulous sellers on eBay attempting to pass these off as "rare" and a "great investment".

Things happen...

I tried this for fun. It appears that there was no 1972-s PF quarter (or any quarter for that matter) on that invoice. That's scary - I'm sure someone else across the country was quite surprised to find a 50c piece in return for their 25c!

You think that is bad, Schatzy posted an interesting eBay link with someone claiming a mislabeled coin as a "rare" error a couple of weeks ago. The coin didn't sell.

It did sell that why I posted it.

Link

Things happen...

I don't know that there was necessarily a half and quarter in that submission and that the two coins were mistaken during encapsulation. More likely, in my opinion and experience, is that someone entered the wrong coin number on the part of NGC and the mistake on the autogenerated insert was missed. I had a 1950-D (?) Roosevelt dime that I submitted to PCGS and it graded MS67, but they returned it to me in a holder that listed it as an 1821 (?) CBH with the MS67 grade. The error wasn't that I had submitted a CBH with the dime, rather, it was because the coin number for the dime and CBH were identical except for one digit and this incorrect digit was entered by PCGS.

Was wondering, I'm sure there was a quarter and half in that particular submission. Is it possible to swap the serials to reflect that the quarter now owns this particular serial and that the half would own the quarters serial? Just a thought at a quick fix. I don't mind the coin being mislabeled. And plus, Jason thinks this coin is now worth several thousand dollars as a mistake coin! lol I'm sure this is per recent ebay auctions!

The Coin is not a mistake or error coin. The labeling is the mistake. This does not mean that somebody on Ebay wont pay big bucks for it.

The Coin is not a mistake or error coin. The labeling is the mistake. This does not mean that somebody on Ebay wont pay big bucks for it.

I doubt "big bucks" but there is no question this coin/slab would command a premium now. I think it's kind of cool. Leave it as-is!

You think that is bad, Schatzy posted an interesting eBay link with someone claiming a mislabeled coin as a "rare" error a couple of weeks ago. The coin didn't sell.

It did sell that why I posted it.

Link

I was actually thinking about another presidential error that I had seen that didn't sell. Sorry; I had forgotten that the one you posted did sell. Sorry for my error.

TPG's deal with certification numbers on a daily basis. Doesn't it bother you that your coin is handled so indifferently? Where is the Quality Control? Absolutely no excuse for this error.

Postings like this make me doubt the veracity of TPG grading.

We all hope for objectivity but in the end it's up to us as collectors to determine the true condition of a coin.

Carl