• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1810 CBH. Grade and Overton?

14 posts in this topic

There are only two R 4 Overtons for the 1810 .

Overton 106 and 109A

I do not think this coin is either .

I think you may have an Overton 106 A which is R3.

MBA is better at this then me - he will get the Overton correct .

I don't think your coin has original surfaces. I believe it was cleaned at one time and what you are seeing is secondary toning around the rims. This coin is actually very well struck for an 1810 CBH. These are often found quite weakly struck on the eagle's wings. I wouldn't be surprised to see your coin grade in a range from VF35+/- depending on the luster, if any, remaining.

TomB (as usual) is correct in his post as to the secondary toning. The surfaces appear to be far from original. That said, it looks to be a solid XF example of O-110--an R-2 coin.

This particular die marriage is almost never well struck on the milling on either side. In fact, I don't know of ANY example with full milling on both sides. Nor is the lower right side of the reverse usually well done. Yours is actually quite nice in this respect.

MarkT (and other Overton attributors)...a little pick-up point about the1810 die marriages...

The upper inner point of star 13 is scalloped on the O-105, the O-108, and the O-110. The outside point of star 13 is scalloped on each of the other die marriages.

Yeah 110. The coin has the appearance of having "some" original surface left, but has had a bit of a cleaning. Still an attractive coin. I would want to see it first hand before making a final judgment though. You never know for sure with pics.

Thanks for the attribution. I about fell out of my chair when someone said VF25. If this coin isnt an XF, then I need to go to grading school.

Also, I understand about the secondary toning. Would a coin like this be holdered? Seems like an 1810 that has retoned nicely would be market acceptable since 9/10 of these would have been cleaned at some point.

It would probably come down to the amount of remaining luster. If the coin in hand looks dead then it more than likely would bag. Looking at the pics, though, I don't see anything else which would keep it from slabbing. I have certainly seen much worse looking coins in top tier holders.

I was thinking it may have had a wipe and not a dip.

I am guessing that there is at least some remaining luster in the devices.

I think the coin has a good shot to grade at XF 40 , I can not see it grading lower then VF 35 . Both NGC and PCGS have tightened up a lot , as others have said it is hard to tell from a photo. Regardless of the cleaning I find the coin attractive .

I can now easily see why this is a O - 110 .

I think this is a problem free XF-40. I dont have an Overton book though. Is this a better one?

4304919241_5aebfaa6c0_o.jpg

A nice dead center XF40. The coin is not original, but that doesn't mean it has cleaning damage. The toning however, is secondary after being placed in an album or other storage device for many years.

TomB (as usual) is correct in his post as to the secondary toning. The surfaces appear to be far from original. That said, it looks to be a solid XF example of O-110--an R-2 coin.

This particular die marriage is almost never well struck on the milling on either side. In fact, I don't know of ANY example with full milling on both sides. Nor is the lower right side of the reverse usually well done. Yours is actually quite nice in this respect.

MarkT (and other Overton attributors)...a little pick-up point about the1810 die marriages...

The upper inner point of star 13 is scalloped on the O-105, the O-108, and the O-110. The outside point of star 13 is scalloped on each of the other die marriages.

Well then I'll change my opinion, knowing a bit about the particular coin. I suppose that since it's not wear along the rim then the rest of the devices look more or less clean and maybe a VF-35 is more accurate.

I think it's a nice XF, but with the strikes on these early dates, I would not be at all surprised to see this one graded anywhere from VF25 to AU50!