• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not sure what we got here with this 1881-S Morgan

11 posts in this topic

what do we actually have here? just a plain but somewhat frosty morgan. a PL, something else?

is there such a thing as an all frosty morgan?

and what grade? my guess 64-65

1881smorno.jpg

1881smornr.jpg

Is there such a thing as "Mothball Toning? Technically, it's probably a 64. Note the lack of hair detail at the top of the forehead. Again, the '81-S is known for a good strike. But, this one lacks the POW! No lustre. I have a few specimens in 63 that hit you like a high-powered searchlight.

Chris

Not pl, 64 - only chance at 65 if lustre better than pic - perhaps spent too much time at the bottom of someone's milk jug:)... (old practice to prolong freshness, really practiced by individuals & distributors:)

Coins are frequently found with frosty fields. This coin appears to be covered with haze and residue. I recommend a quick bath in denatured alcohol or acetone to neutralize/remove contaminants and bring out the underlying luster.

1881-S typically strong strike. MS64 for relatively clear fields. Photo anomaly? If photos are accurate as to luster this coin has been acid dipped and the fields are not recoverable. Milky fields are a clear indicator of a coin being over dipped.