• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned Morgan questions

10 posts in this topic

A)

I recently got a PL morgan with a really nice light gold/yellow tone, seller called it 'honey kissed'

as this is the one and only time i have seen such a thing, is this kind of tone something special it and by itself? worth more?

B)

bought a roll of morgans that contained a few coins i really wanted. most however are common specimens in ms61-62 state but with heavy brown/grey patina. dont think one could call it toning because ms70 cleaner will take most of it right off. as i want to sell those off (so i can buy other coins of course :-) ) the question is: dip and sell that way (they come out pretty nice and bright) or is there a market for the uncleaned state? even i who love colorful/album toning find them not particularly appealing although they are far from ugly.

A. Post pictures. We can give you much better answers. The "light gold/yellow" "honey kissed" description - and keep in mind all I have right now is a description - sounds very much like dipped and improperly rinsed with dip residue toning. It might be something different, but all I have is your description.

B. Post pictures. MS-70 is a dip, and will remove toning - which is what your coins have. Ugly toning is still toning, the chemical reactions on the surface are exactly the same, just the appearance is different. With low grade coins, it probably doesn't really matter what they look like because they aren't worth a whole lot over melt, they are incredibly common, and they won't ever be rare. I would probably say leave them, as originality is often prized, but if they are really ugly, a quick rinse might help them.

The golden......or honey......or amber......or whatever one chooses to call the toning is not uncommon. It may seem appealing to some, but it does not add a premium to the coin......unless you're a buyer who likes it.

Chris

A)

I recently got a PL morgan with a really nice light gold/yellow tone, seller called it 'honey kissed'

as this is the one and only time i have seen such a thing, is this kind of tone something special it and by itself? worth more?

Yellow or golden toning often results after a coin has been dipped and some of the solution is left on it. Some collectors like it; others don't.

The main concern if it keeps going. If there is a lot of dipping solution left on the coin it can turn blue and if it's realy bad it can go black. Once it turns black, it's game over. The coin is damaged and nothing can reverse it.

The coins in the links that you posted are okay for toning, but nothing special. Some collectors who don't really know anything about toning might like them, but they are not the kind of coins that the toning people go ga-ga over.

now i am really confused. if the toning on that coin is from dipping, why would pcgs have graded it? i though the grading companies frown on ANY kind of improper cleaning....??

the honey kissed

coin has been dipped and then improperly rinsed so it is dip residue that retones usually around the rims of the coin or mottled in patches or through out the coin as

ugly brownish yellowish "honey kissed" champagne ginger ale type toning

personally it is ugly and only gets worse after time

now i am really confused. if the toning on that coin is from dipping, why would pcgs have graded it? i though the grading companies frown on ANY kind of improper cleaning....??

A lot of people dip coins to clean off unsightly residues before submitting coins, but the important thing is not to overdo it which can remove surface metal. Again, the keyword is improper cleaning.

Chris

PS. Me, I don't mess with any chemicals.

dmpl morgans are collected and desired and rewarded by the services blast white

as the really deep mirrors show off well with blast white surfaces so most all dmpl dollars have been dipped out to make them white

the problem is dip residue and with deeply toned into the surfaces of the mirrors when dipped sometimes result in hazy cloudy surfaces even if properly dipped

i find this ugly

i dont mind blast white morgan dmpl pl dollars but they got to be stark white and with crisp clean crystal clear and non hazy non cloudy mirrors and with flash and blast because the coin only needed a lite and also properly neutralized after dip

good luck as few are like this and even fewer stay like this