• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1861 Confederate cent (2nd restrike by Robert Bashlow.) Who knew!

21 posts in this topic

This blows me away. I bought mine a couple of years ago for $10 and never thought anything else about it, then, I seen one for sale.It sold for almost $200 raw.

Now, granted, the original dies were used, to the best of my knowledge, and there were only 20,000 made of the copper but jeez.

I have also seen examples graded by NGC, yes it's recognized, graded MS-68 has a buy it now price of $400 on Ebay.

Any input or thoughts on this token/medal.

By the way I thought about having mine graded but after seeing the pix I'll keep it raw..

335293250_o.jpg335293211_o.jpg

The lightly canceled dies resurfaced in 1961, pretty convenient for the Civil War Centennial in 1961. The obverse die appears to have been defaced with a hammer and the reverse with what looks like a chisel. Usable transfer dies were made from the originals and 30,000 examples of various types of medals were struck.

I would guess these would be considered the “second re-strike” since the first re-strike was done in 1874.

I never even thought about buying one when they were dirt cheap…they are cool. Keep it raw!

I've got one of these too -- even in the original envelope from 1961. I think I paid around $20 for it in the 1990's.

WoodenJefferson is correct the second restrikes were made from transfer dies not the originals.

I sold mine when I found this out. An ad in some coin rag back in the 1970s called them "re-restrikes", so I paid about $15 for one. The coolness factor was severly diminished when I found out about the transfer dies. doh!

I replaced it with a cheap copy stamed "COPY" at the Smithsonian back in 1993.

I bought one in copper for $6 from John Weeks, the African-American exonumia dealer who set up in New Jersey. The last I knew he was still around although older like all of us. :preach: John must have had 50 of them scattered through out his many books of coins, tokens and other stuf.

I knew these were not made from the original dies, but copies made from the original canceled and rusted dies. For that reason I didn't put much store by them.

It's hard to believe people are paying that much money for these things. Yes, a mintage of 20,000 for the copper is not much by coin standards, but that's huge for a token, especially for a copy of a token.

I remember in the 1970s Dave Bowers advertied the original restrikes in his Rare Coin Review and could not find any takers at three or four thousand dollars.

Who have have thunk it that something like this would bring hundreds of dollars. :o

It's funny I would see the subject of the Bashlow restrikes come up. I was talking with a coin dealer today who told me he once bought fifty restrikes - for a buck apiece. I'd say he made out pretty well with them!

They are technically copies since they were copied from the original dies.  The dies were to fragile to cast new coins from them in 1961.   NGC calls them restrikes on their grading system.

5C02513E-1AA8-4581-A771-3A1474D88407.jpeg

168A8A0D-B2A7-433A-9AF4-DE6A9512A163.jpeg

On 2/13/2020 at 5:57 PM, Conder101 said:

Odd I wasn't aware of Bashlow making restrike of the Confederate half dollar.

Would be nice if NGC would give it a category.  Enough coins auctioned and sold.

On 2/13/2020 at 7:57 PM, Conder101 said:

Odd I wasn't aware of Bashlow making restrike of the Confederate half dollar.

Me either.  Guess we missed out.  

Additionally, as a "bottom feeder" collector (I still am) I bought every one of these I ever saw because they were "Neat & Cheap."  I never found one in silver.  I'm shocked to see the prices they bring today.  Time to sell.

Here is a tip:  On occasion, you can still buy some of Daniel Carr's "Concept" coins under $50.   Buy them as the same increase in value is going to happen. 

This week a silver Bashlow restrike 50c ms69 sold for over a $1000 on Heritage Auctions.  Still the experts at NGC don’t have a category for these coins.

Thx for the tip on Concept coin.  I’ll check it out.

If Bashlow did make those half dollars they are not Confederate half dollar restrikes, they are COPIES of the Scott restrikes.  Scott used the original Confederate die and a brass plate to make 500 "restrikes" on 1861 O half dollars that had the rev planed off, and the original die with a die of his own creation to make 500 pieces in I think white metal in order to have something in case the Confederate die failed in striking the silver coins.  This Bashlow "restrike" is of the Scott white metal pieces and does not use the original die for either side.

Yes they are copies because the dies were to fragile to cast.  They are very well done and are commanding a hefty premium from the $31 for six coins when they were first sold in mid 60’s. Of course they don’t compare to the Scott restrikes.