• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wartime 5¢ on a silver 10¢ planchet

11 posts in this topic

This is the other error coin submitted to NGC that was being talked about in a previous thread about a 1970-D Lincoln 1¢ on a 10¢ planchet.

Can anyone shed some light as to the value of such a coin?

Jim

91999.jpg.aff25cb0644a347a6b3e9b2bb299bd95.jpg

92000.jpg.6d3c1815cd4e262d3f9629d6fe393c99.jpg

Wow, that's a neat error. I have never seen a war nickel struck on a dime planchet. The price might go crazy in the right venue. Really neat coin. Thanks for posting it.

WOW! That may very well be a unique error. I would DEFINITELY show it to Fred Weinberg. You're looking at a minimum of $2000 on that piece and I wouldn't be surprised at $5000 a auction. If the details were sharper I'd say even higher.

Very cool error. Being a war nickel adds to the value for sure. I speant a little time on heritage auction archives. I found one semi-similiar coin.

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=288&Lot_No=8288

This auction in 2002, they sold a 1942-S Nickel--On 10C Planchet--MS62 ANACS for just under $1000. Today I feel this coin would sell for more.

Your coin being circulated it is hard to assign a value to it. You don't see too many errors like this that well circulated. My guess, I'd value it between $300-$400. Possibly more depending on the amount of buyers who see the coin.

Where'd you find such a cool error?

Please check out the link I posted. Realisticly I cannot see this paticular coin going above $800. It is a super cool error, but it is in fact a lower grade circulated piece. If it were struck on a 43 steel cent, then I would think it would gain a much greater price at auction.

Just the fact that the last one offered for sale was eight years ago would indicate to me at least that this is worth WAY more than $800 these days.

Also this example was certified by NGC, not ANACS. Big difference.

I would guess between $2000-$4000. Cool find!

I don't know about such a high price, and the fact that the other example was in an ANACS holder doesn't bother me in the least. I saw the picture of the coin and I know the quality of HA pictures. The coin in the ANACS holder showed plenty of luster. On top of that, the ANACS coin had a full date, this one does not. I still think it would be a strong draw in an auction and the fact that it's been 8 yrs since HA has had one in auction. That doesn't mean it's been 8 yrs since one has been offered, just 8 yrs since one was offered by HA. So, I think it would bring strong money, just not the Moon money that some are mentioning here.

It is hard for me to put a direct comparison between the coins. Since were comparing an Unc one with a date to a circulated with a date. This was surprisingly the closest example I could find.

I agree with coindude & Jaime. I think it is a great piece; I could see a dealer at a show trying to sell it for $1000. Do to it being circulated I do not think at auction it would comand such a high price. Many of the advanced error collectors who would be willing to spend the money would want a better example such as the anacs one.