• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this 1923-D PD worth grading?

21 posts in this topic

just got this coin that i won for little money on ebay. looks like it has NO WEAR on high points, just various bag marks. the toning makes it hard for me to say it this would grade at least MS63, otherwise no point... also looks like there is a huge die break on the obverse starting at the neck an curving to the left.... how much of a plus is this?

screenshot_01.jpg

screenshot_02.jpg

MunkyMan95... i have PCGS graded MS62,63,64 PD's that look just like this one, or worse... dont be fooled by gunk and toning.

i have the feeling many in this (not attacking anybody in person) forum grade everything they see here way to low just not to expose themselves in any way...

I'd probably go AU on it - so I agree with Chad. I'm not convinced its uncirculated, and its not the prettiest. The die crack does not add anything to the value either, by the way - unless it turns out to be a rare VAM, varieties on Peace dollars go unnoticed usually.

Gunk and toning is an acquired taste.. just like aged french cheese. Is Borden sliced processed cheese food 'real cheese' versus cave aged sea side cheddar from england where cows still feed on real clover....? Coins are kindof the same the way i see it.

True, there is no accounting for taste. But there is a reason you won it for little money on Ebay, as you say. Because not too many people are sharing your taste for this coin.

But the important part is that the coin makes you happy and you like it. As long as you like it, who cares what we say? (I just don't think its value anywhere near justifies grading, in answer to your question).

It is difficult to grade from a photo . I can see this coin getting a grade of Au 58 - MS 62 with a better chance of AU . If the coin has good luster then I say MS 62 however based on your photo I do not see much luster . I am pretty sure this coin has been dipped and re toned - not that it would make a difference in the grade anyway. Is it really worth the cost of submission just to prove a the grade ?

i am an NGC elite member so after discounts etc. the grading might cost me $14. i spend that on much more silly stuff all the time so out of curiosity i'll send it in. oh, and yes, there is real mint luster coming through that gunk when looking against a light. but like another guy here said, one person's beauty is another person's ugly! i am just surprised how some grade everything XF even some gorgeous byzantine coins a collector posted here. it thats XF i'm only 20 years old. haha

I'm with Chad and Jason on this one. Once you've added the cost of the coin, shipping from the seller and shipping & insurance to and from NGC, you will have more money into it than it is worth.

Whatever floats your boat!

Chris

I think it's MS-63, but even at MS-65, I would never send in my 1922-1925 Philly Peace dollars in for grading, IF financial gain is the primary goal. Even at $14, it doesn't seem like a cost-effective plan. It's practically impossible to move common Peace dollars even in high grades, but most especially those which are definitely not grade rarities. 1923-D might fall under the category as well as "too common" to get certified at anything below MS-65.

However, if the goal is to learn, then the cost of education could be reasonable.

"Is it really worth the cost of submission just to prove a the grade ?"

In these days with the market being flooded with Chinese fakes it's coming to the point where everything will have to be submitted just to prove it's authenticity let alone the grade.

FWIW - I just bought the exact same coin with what looks like the exact same die break on Ebay for twenty bucks and free shipping. The reason I bought the coin was because the die break intrigued me and I wanted to see it close up. I don't have the coin in hand yet but when I get it I'll drop a photo on here. Why? Because I happen to be like TheCount and have a thing or taste for gunk and toning. I’ve seen it posted here before I think what you folks call me is a bottom feeder. I like and collect circulated coins. To me a coin does not have to be pretty to be interesting and desirable. But I do have to agree with part of the above posts, value is a whole different story. The item is ONLY as valuable as what someone is willing to pay for it.

Should you get it slabbed? Sure, you’ll know it’s authentic and the coin will be protected and on top of all that it will be a little easier to sell when it comes time to part with it.

Just my opinion 

Have a great day

Jim

Hi Jim, always nice to meet a like mind. Please post a pic when you get the coin. Curious how similar they really are. And, btw, more than once have i picked up a PD that looked just as cruddy as the one here, only to find out it was a true MS 63-64 (1927, 1927-D, 1935, 1935-S) after some cleaning with MS70. I somehow can (all depends on the way the picture was taken) often see through the dirt. Best thing is, hardly any bidding competition with coins like that. Worst comes to worst, I see if for the same amount I got it.

I certainly will post a pic when I get it. And Howdy out to you too Count. :)

I am curious have you or anyone here tried this NCS service? I have a couple of simply cruddy ( to use a technical term, gunky) Morgan’s and Peace Dollars that appear to me to be outstanding strikes with loads of detail, just not very pleasing to look at but never the less wonderful coins to behold. One coin comes to mind of a 1935 PD that is literally black. But the strike and device details appear sharp. Although these coins are not very valuable to “EH HEMMM” The other collectors, I have an attachment to it and would like to have it restored if possible.

From what I can gather the NCS service will attempt to restore or conserve (clean) and then have it graded and slabbed. The service interests me but would like to know what others have experienced before sending some of my ugly babies in for a make over.

Now that I am thinking about it I have a 1968-S Lincoln double strike cent that is probably worth about 50¢ that I would like to have slabbed, But it has some spots on it that might be a good candidate for that NCS deal too. The reason I would like it slabbed is because it’s the first coin I ever collected as a child and I would like to have it protected and preserved for my own personal gratification.

Geez imagine that! Slabbing a coin that’s only worth 50 cents. Heaven forbid. lol

Jim

I am curious have you or anyone here tried this NCS service? ...I have a couple of simply cruddy ( to use a technical term, gunky) Morgan’s and Peace Dollars that appear to me to be outstanding strikes with loads of detail, just not very pleasing to look at but never the less wonderful coins to behold. One coin comes to mind of a 1935 PD that is literally black. But the strike and device details appear sharp.

Check out the thread on my 27D Peace dollar.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=166561&Number=3331952#Post3331952