• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1913 Type 1 Buffalo Nickel

12 posts in this topic

I won't hazard a grade except to say that it's obviously MS. The luster, especially on the reverse is very nice.

On another note, this thing is obviously AT!

Album Toned that is... and absolutely gorgeous because of it.

I'm seeing rub on the cheek. I would say a mid MS without that, but I can't go higher than MS-60 seeing that (AU-60 really) The reverse looks MS-65 range. High eye appeal, and would possibly star at NGC

A coin from a series that I just have not put in the effort to hone my grading skills. Opinions of this coin? Thanks guys!

osv8k6.jpg

po9zo.jpg

Another view of the obverse. I don't know about the rub, but it is a late die state.

1913T1BuffObv024HR.jpg

I would not grade it any higher than MS-65 because the minor weakness at the date (most 1913 Type 1 nickels don't have this), and the "carbon spots" on the obverse. The coin has a great look, but it's not quite in the super gem category IMO.

The carbon spots are not nearly as visible in hand. In fact, I never even noticed them until I had the coin photographed by Bob. What I can tell you is that it is quite a looker and will keep its home in my Dansco 7070 album for the time being. Thanks for the feedback guys!

I don't see the rub, but it could be my computer screen. The coin looks fully MS to me. The ticks on the Indian's cheek are a bit distracting as are the carbon spots. I would grade this MS62. For the nice toning, you might end up with a star at NGC; however, they have been fairly stingy lately.