• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1896-S barber coin arrived new pictures

14 posts in this topic

VG-8. Weakness on the reverse rim doesn't bother me so long as you can see separation from the peripheral details all the way around. Besides that, this is the type-1 reverse, which always wore down more quickly than the obverse.

Nice key coin!

I understand that this is a type one reverse; however, it's not the reverse that keeps this coin below a VG 8. In order to qualify as VG8, there must be at least three letters in Ms. Liberty's crown. You only have two. This is better than G4, but less than VG 8, I agree with T-Mark, this coin is G6.

G-07 (technical grade only)

Does such a grade really exist (seriously)? I can still remember when the major third party grading services added G6 and other intermediate grades like VF 35, XF 45, AU53, AU58, etc..

P.S. jimbucks, do you intend to have this slabbed by PCGS or NGC? If so, would you let us know the official disposition of the coin's grade?

G-07 (technical grade only)

Does such a grade really exist (seriously)? I can still remember when the major third party grading services added G6 and other intermediate grades like VF 35, XF 45, AU53, AU58, etc..

P.S. jimbucks, do you intend to have this slabbed by PCGS or NGC? If so, would you let us know the official disposition of the coin's grade?

No, G-7 does not technically exist. This is just another way of saying its oh so close to VG-8, but doesn't quite make it.