• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1935 peace dollar gem ---ms65,66,67????

12 posts in this topic

hello all,

this PD is going off to ngc for grading shortly. rarely have i come across a pd with so few marks in the face area and totally undisturbed mint luster. the coins has a fantastic light gold tone. pictures are not perfect but anybody willing to guestimate what ngc might come up with???

the count

ngc1435gemfront.JPG

ngc1935gemback.JPG

ADDED SMALLER PICTURE FOR COMPARISON

1935ssmall.JPG

Looks like a well struck coin, but .... and isn't there always buts? And like all others this but is gonna stink.

There is enough chatter on the obverse for me to call 63 - 64, around the neck area, and I'm thinking if there's that much chatter there then there's other chatter elsewhere that might keep it even lower. But again, that's what I see. Even worse, the reverse shows what might be some rub. And, if I'm right there, then you're looking at AU58 at best.

I really hope I'm wrong for your sake.

hi coindude,

one usually sees what one wants to see, so i agree that maybe i chose to 'filter out' the neck chatter. then again, i have looked at tons of MS63 NGC coins and some i would have graded ms61 so there we are. pictures can be deceiving, i have bough coins where i thought they would just be your average bu and turned out to be real gems and vice versa

1935 is hoard date of which there are many uncirculated rolls and thousands of UNC examples. On top of that, it is one of the very best produced issues in the series, thus gems are relatively common, and finding examples with few marks is not difficult.

As others have suggested, I think your coin is more in the MS-63/4 range.

i just posted a much smaller picture and i think you are right, above a certain size even a nice coin will have people concentrating on the faults. already my coin looks at least half a grade better..... if i shrink it down to the size of a dime will it be a ms 68 :-)) ?

No, unfortunately shrinking images doesn't result in higher grades. Count, as you are discovering, there is quite a bit of subjectivity to grading---there are also well established guidelines. The key is to be able to clearly identify the grading parameters for your coin type. This can done by studying graded coins and understanding the grading process. As a suggestion check out www.coingrading.com. Not the Bible but some good insights.

Welcome to the forums and good luck.

Carl aka $ilverHawk