• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1878 Morgan Dollar CC

13 posts in this topic

Very difficult to tell from those photos but my guess would be MS 63 .

What are you storing this coin in ?

Bringing the coin to a dealer for a grade and assessment is usually free, sending this in to be grading by a TPG would costs you over around $ 60 and is not worth it unless the coin is Ms 64 or better. There is no way to determine what Vam this is , if it was rare one that can add some interest from Vam collectors.

welcome to the boards (thumbs u

the coin from the photo presented has great eye appeal and appears to be at least from the photo choice unc.

i think if it is in a gsa soft pack it is worth more just left alone in the packaging

but

unless the packaging says it is circulated then i would break it out and send it in raw to get it graded and again i think it is a choice unc. with really good eye appeal

if the coin sight seen by someone who knows how to grade cc morgans will grade out ms63 or higher at ngc THEN YES SEND IT IN TO BE GRADED

okie here goes--- break it out of that holder and send the coin to ngc for grading again just BASED ON THE GOOD PHOTO

good luck and please let me know what happens

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Is that a scan or a photo? It's difficult for me to see luster from a scan. However, it looks to be at least MS63, and yes, it is worth having graded. If there is a coin shop in your area, ask the owner how much he would charge to send it with his next submission.

Chris

I guess it would depend on what you want to do with it. It appears to be a mint-state GSA soft-pack. Probably worth at least $300. It would cost you $60 to submit it for grading and for sale purposes may not be worth it. As far as if it is 62, 63, or 65 won't be identified with scans or pictures. Take it to a local dealer and see if he thinks it has a chance for 64 or 65. If so, I would submit. If 63 or lower, you probably won't recover your grading fees via price increase. I'm sure you can get $300-$500 on ebay as-is, so if you just want to liquidate it for max value that may be the way to go. I would not remove it from its packaging as that would really lower its ungraded demand and ease of sale. Nice coin...good luck with it!

DO NOT remove it from the mint packaging!! It is worth more as-is than it would be certified.

Definitely!!IEven if the coin is in a "circulated" GSA pack.leave it as is.Many like this were mistakenly graded circulated because amateurs were were grading them and there were 10's of million to sift through.Many were lower mint state,such as under MS 63 with bag marks.It may come back graded MS63.This still leaves up to $300 for 1 78CC.My favorite program for grading these is NGC's. They will grade the coin without removing it from the original packaging.No on else does rhis.The original packaging on a circulated or uncirculate Morgan will enhance the value 9 times out of ten.Mke sure you research how minimum coins graded per submission,prices for access to gradeing etc.It's all on NGCCoin.com's website.

Just take into consideration,that NGC does charge extra for this service but many customers this it worth it. Good luck and have fun,

Wow, I just saw an ungraded 78-CC GSA slab go for over $1000!!! The coin didn't look like a giant. I wanted to try to get each GSA slab but I believe I'm going to give up. I just can't justify the premium on some of them

It is very difficult to judge from the packaging, but I would more than likely assign the coin a grade of MS62. With regards to having it slabbed by a top grading service (i.e. PCGS or NGC), it depends on how much money you have invested in it. A MS 62 coin is worth around $260. Since the coin is in a flat pack GSA, I recommend submitting it to NGC if you chose the certification route; I think the certification fees are somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 not counting shipping and handling both ways (remember to factor in insurance as well).

Looks like a 62 with those pictures maybe higher under closer observation

( Scratch marks at jab line )

However I would remove it as quickly as possible as there is particulate matter in the envelope that will continue to damage the coin.

(O)Between the Nose and the Rim.

®Between the Left wing and the rim.

My 2c

An 1878 CC in MS62 has a retail value of 260.00 and $318.00 in MS63 assuming non GSA. I dont know where the other poster gets $60.00. If you send in 5 U.S. Coins pre-modern(1955) then it is $16,00 geading per coin. If you only have one coin then you can send it via (Early bird) which has about a 12 day turn around for $30.00. Send it insured Priority mail for about $7.00.

An 1878 CC in MS62 has a retail value of 260.00 and $318.00 in MS63 assuming non GSA. I dont know where the other poster gets $60.00. If you send in 5 U.S. Coins pre-modern(1955) then it is $16,00 geading per coin. If you only have one coin then you can send it via (Early bird) which has about a 12 day turn around for $30.00. Send it insured Priority mail for about $7.00.

Coins valued at more than $300 must be submitted with at least earlybird.