• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grades on my latest half sovs

24 posts in this topic

Just paid for these from the latest big auction here. Look forward to seeing them and checking for scratches, can't see any problems from the images.

6698a.jpg6698b.jpg

1171a.jpg1171b.jpg

Its DOUBLE GUESS THE GRADE

Whoever gets closest to guessing both grades, will win a prize. If someone gets both spot on, they will get something even nicer. No prize announced until I send them for grading in a few weeks or so :)

Guessing is open for 2 weeks ! so think hard ! strictly 1 guess (for both coins) per person.

Love the die-cracks on the Aus 64 Its just like the one i found with my detector on a local farm a few years back .. which i gave to the farmers wife ..

my guess ( if you take overseas :)

50 and 64 :acclaim:

XF-45 for the 1864 and MS-63 for the 1887-M.

I would have graded the 1864 AU-50 except for the obverse ding at 11 o'clock.

Still a beautiful coin, and yes, I have a soft spot for the young Victoria design.

Ok this is closed, good luck to you all

The grades given by the auction house Noble (noble.com.au) were

1864 gVF

1887M aEF

My guesses are AU50 and AU58

I don't like all this waiting :D must remember to send coins off sooner/more often, I've been lazy..

Scheduled for grading.. the winner will receive their choice of

- A roll of "Australia Day" BU 50c (20 coins)

- A selection from a pile of BU 50c and $1 coins in single cards.

Choices for prize #2 include 50c "Moon Landing", Steve Irwin, Fish series, Land series, Queen's Diamond Wedding, 50yrs of TV, Sydney Harbour Bridge, 100yrs of coinage, and lots more

IF someone selected both grades spot on, they will win their choice of

- BU Koala set MS69 (3 coins 2007-2009)

- Lincoln commem PF70UC NGC (either label). Or if they prefer, TWO imperfect ones, a 69 slab and a boxed proof

- An Australian proof set, most years available for this prize value

- LARGER selection of BU 50c and $1, and the prize will include A PAIR of the current 2010 coin only available by visiting the Royal Australian Mint visitors gallery, or paying 400% or more on eBay. The RAM runs 2 presses, so 1 coin from each press..

AU55

AU58

Nice grades :) I am very happy with a 55 for the top coin

The winner is Physics Fan :) I'll PM you with a selection of prizes later in the weekend, and you can take your pick !

Noteworthy guesses by michael, who got the AU55 and guessed MS63, which wasn't really a bad guess from the photo ! it really is an EF rated coin here in Australia, and I would expect 55 or 58 or be shocked. Still, good guessing from a photo ! :)

Congrats on the grades, those are gorgeous coins.

And thanks for the giveaway :) Can't wait to see my prize!

:golfclap:Congrats Gavin on the grades and Jason you will like the Aussie coins as much as i do. ^^

OH you did get it, ignore the PM

Yep, she's a nice coin I reckon. The fancy jewels on King George V look better than ever. The reverse is engraved by Vladimir Gottwald, one of the finest in the business. Often impressed with his work