• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A grade on this 1936 Buffalo?

9 posts in this topic

Hi all:

When I saw this coin I couldn't let it go. I thought it looked proof so I have two questions: Anybody out there know if this is a proof coin or not? What would you grade it (whether it is proof or business strike)?

By the way, if it's not proof, I'd love to see a proof example if you have pics...what I would not love is for someone to tell me how stupid I am for thinking this is a proof coin. From time to time expertise seems to be hefted about in rather unpleasant ways on the boards and I'm just hoping to avoid that.

Thanks in advance for all of the help.

Brad

90213.gif.9ce99d0c6b610331296c9f443bd1f47d.gif

I don't think it's a proof. The looks like a soft strike on the 19 which leads me to believe a B/S rather than a proof, which generally have very sharp dates. Also the F in 5¢ is too mushy. Grade-wise I'd say around 62-4 range, I'm a bit unsure of the degree of wear I see on the high profile parts of the buffalo. A larger image could help that.

Here is a link to a discussion on the same topic:

http://www.cointalk.com/t77322/

I'm sure Mark will comment on this one, as he did on the above topic, I just happened to beat him to it.. :cool:

The images unquestionably show a business strike unless they are very inaccurate. Once you have seen a few proofs and come to understand the extreme sharpness of detail in the hide and the rugosity that only proofs or the very best business strikes show, you can usually tell the difference almost instantly. As nice as this coin may seem, it simply does not have the sharpness of a proof striking.

As for grade, I am thinking MS-64-ish.

I don't think it is a proof. Here is a Satin proof followed by the brilliant proof. I know it's hard to get a good look at the satin because of the toning.

1936Satinobv_107.jpg1936Satinrev_116.jpg

1936prbufobv869-1.jpg1936prbufrev873-1.jpg

Thanks everybody:

The difference is clear as day when I compare the coin to the proof pics that you all have pointed me to.

James, it looks like I'll have to eat my hat... I told you in a post about 2 months ago that I'd never use a TPG. I don't think I could do this coin the dishonor of not getting it graded and preserved. Got any good recipes for a beat up straw fedora?

Brad

P.S. I just looked back... I said I'd eat my hat if I ever bought a TPG coin... Maybe I'm still okay?

Thanks everybody:

The difference is clear as day when I compare the coin to the proof pics that you all have pointed me to.

James, it looks like I'll have to eat my hat... I told you in a post about 2 months ago that I'd never use a TPG. I don't think I could do this coin the dishonor of not getting it graded and preserved. Got any good recipes for a beat up straw fedora?

I remember lol !!!!!

Well, there is no dishonor in this case, since you are really getting an opinion on "authenticity", as well as grade, since we want to know whether it is an "authentic proof"!