• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another newbie with some coins

23 posts in this topic

I have no knowledge about coins, but have a box of old coins that I intend to learn about and catalogue. I know that none of them are as pristine as the outstanding coins pictured on this forum. But I would be interested in opinions on the two coins in attached photos.

Which is a better coin and why? What should I look for?

Thanks - I am overwhelmed by your knowledge.

89709.jpg.80fd29d10989c30a481bcb22e167d29f.jpg

89710.jpg.14295192c5ea86971372492ed8e881de.jpg

Welcome JRF! I'm not real good with the series but the 1842 looks a better coin to me. It has better detail than the 1846. I think the color is a little more natural on the 1846 than the 1842. Maybe others with more knowledge on these will chime in.

oh my hands DOWN THE 1842 is not only the much better date but also in details too as it is 5-8 points sharper than the 1846

but the 1842 is soap and watered but it is still a market acceptable coloration from the photos BUT THIS MIGHT JUST BE FROM THE PHOTOS AND LIGHTING AS THE REVERSE OF THE 1842 LOOKS GOOD TO ME but unfortunately all we got on here are the photos and not in hand sight seen appraisle

but your photography skills are much better than many dealer websites

both are really neat in demand and highly collectible coins

also welcome to the boards! hope to see more of you around here my friend

I concur that the 1842 is the nicer one due to much better detail. As earlier posted, the color on the 1842 may be questionable, hard to tell.

That's my 2 cents (pun intended).

I see what you are saying about the detail. I did not notice how much better the detail on the stars are on the 1842. The 5-8 points comment is beyond me. I will figure it out in time.

The comment about the color is interesting. These coins have been in my closet for over 30 years, but it may have been washed before that. It may be the photo or I may have many washed coins. Of the coins that I have, they are either very dark like the 46 or brown like the 42.

I have a lot to learn and I am suffering from information overload. I found several good sites on the internet.

I did not realize it until I wrote down all the dates, but someone in my family must have collected these. There are nearly all the dates from 1815-1857 with few omissions or duplicates. Sporadic dates before that.

Thanks for your help!

Nice coins you have there. Get thee to a library!! What I mean is,see if your County library system has any books on "large cents".That's what the two in the picture are. If you can't find any at the library try a larger bookstore.

The 1842 does have better detail on it.If as you say,they have all been together for 30+ years then I don't think color will be an issue,unless they have had a brush or cloth used on them. Do not try to clean them with anything!!They are much more valuable in "original" condition.

If you can get some better focused pictures it would help evaluation a little easier. Good luck and have fun with your coins.

As earlier posted, the color on the 1842 may be questionable, hard to tell.

While still a VERY nice coin I believe the 1842 was lightly cleaned many years ago.

1812 is a really good coin a classic head large cent and worth hundreds of dollars if at least fine with average+ surfaces

---------------------------------------------------------------------

what i mean by 5-8 points higher

is

see how someone said xf-ish on the 1842 and vf-ish on the 1846??

well lets assume the xf coin is an xf-40 and the vfcoin is a vf-30 that is a ten point difference

and i said there is a 5-8 POINT DIFFERENCE IN THE COINS THIS IS WHAT I MEANt AS per the above

Thanks for all your comments.

Regarding the uncirculated coin - none of mine are that good. The 1842 is about as good as it gets. There are many in condition similar to the 1846 - at least as I see them.

Regarding the points - thanks, I was confused. Initially I thought you were saying that points were a unit of measurement for the depth of the image. I was thinking that you must have much better vision than I do or some kind of high tech device.

Regarding the 1812 - it is far from fine. All of the older ones are very worn. There are 6 cents and 2 half cents ranging from 1797 to 1812.

As suggested, I will go to the library and see what books are there. I looked on the internet and found that these specialized books are not cheap. I am cheap.

I will go the local coin club when it meets next month and see what they think. In the meantime, I need to go through the other stuff.

Thanks again - I really appreciate your input.

large cents are great to collect in circulated grades as most all come

and large cents are the first usa federal coin to be written about and collected by varieties again written in book form

large cents were the first work horses of the new federal govt money system and there is huge demand and "love" for early copper large and half cents

the www.eacs.org is a great resourse site

check out these dealers great large and half cent photos prices and grades and what early copper usually looks like in circulated grades

you will learn lots on these sites in tersm or grading and pricing

www.earlycoppercoins.com

www.earlycoppers.com

www.earlycents.com

good luck

1797 are gonna be pricey, $100+ in even the worst grades, up to well over that for a nicer (even worn) coin. I recommend posting images of that one. The points as someone else said are a measure of a coins condition, or a measure of the degree of wear. The common Sheldon scale we are referring to goes from 1-70, with 1 only identifiable as a coin, not even date, and 70 being flawless (even though most coins are only 65-68 when originally struck, so 70's are a nice find...and anyone who says they have one doesn't unless it's certified by NGC or PCGS).