• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3 leg buff

7 posts in this topic

Hi Folks would like an opinion on this coin .

Don't do buffs but I am wondering about it's authenticity and two weather it has some sort of tooling marks to remove the leg

sorry about the pics but they are the sellers :(

3leg.jpg

4legs.jpg

cheers

Can't see your pic right now Martin, but the real thing looks like the Buffalo is taking a whiz... if you catch my drift!

Here are some die markers to check that I found on a pretty good description: The buffalo's beard is pointed, and longer on the right (facing) side than the left. Although a Mint employee removed the front leg with an emery board, the hoof is still present. There is a stream of raised die lumps running downward between the front and rear legs. The rear right leg of the buffalo has a spindly, sickly look, as does the hoof on the other rear leg. The overall buffalo is a bit smaller than normal, and there are heavy metal flow lines at various points.

Here's the page, and it has pretty decent pictures.

http://www.icollector.com/1937-D-5C-Three-Legged-MS66-PCGS_i7118202

If those tiny micro pics are the best your seller can give you - run away. Don't even consider it, don't try and guess if you're getting a bargain. Drop it like a red hot cast iron pan, because chances are incredibly high that you are about to get ripped off.

If those tiny micro pics are the best your seller can give you - run away. Don't even consider it, don't try and guess if you're getting a bargain. Drop it like a red hot cast iron pan, because chances are incredibly high that you are about to get ripped off.

totally agree,

If he had the real thing he would have better photos showing it off.

As stated above, the raised metal area in the field under the belly of the Buffalo. Bring a strong magnifying glass with you so you can see if there are any tooling marks.