• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

please grade me or offer your opinion of other charactistics?

18 posts in this topic

what do you think? i know photos are hard to grade by

if you cant offer a grade what do you think about the eye appeal and strike??

what do you think about the coloration??

88055.jpg.025cc924c266c6f163b43badfd358c77.jpg

I like it very much. Color looks to be a bit bright, but that could be color balance. I don't see any rub on the coin and the fields look clean so I'll hazard a guess of 63, I'm guessing that the picture might be hiding something. On a bonus note, it looks like the coin is at least semi PL.

Strike – Excellent

Color – Very nice but as Coin Dude said looks a bit bright which is probably the photo and not the actual color of the coin

Eye Appeal – Very nice

Grade – no less then MS 64

If the color in the images is accurate (and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it isn't), I think the coin has been dipped and/or otherwise lightened. I would also guess that it is semi-prooflike, if not proof-like, in hand. For my grade guess, I'll go with an AU58, which displays faint rub and flaws which are not apparent in the images provided.

If the color in the images is accurate (and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it isn't), I think the coin has been dipped and/or otherwise lightened. I would also guess that it is semi-prooflike, if not proof-like, in hand. For my grade guess, I'll go with an AU58, which displays faint rub and flaws which are not apparent in the images provided.

Mark I can not see any rub - but the pictures are small and you do have better eyes then me !! :grin:

Mark I can not see any rub - but the pictures are small and you do have better eyes then me !! :grin:

Mark, I don't see any rub either, but the image gives the impression of one which is too light/bright and hiding flaws. So my AU guess is merely speculation. If, by chance, the images are true to life, I could see a grade in the MS63-64 range.

I'm with Mark Feld on this one...I think AU++ and maybe MS...the pictures just scream that they're hiding something, but who knows without seeing it in hand.

coin is lighter in hand and is totally frosty with no hint of prooflike surfaces at all

this is usually the way philly mint 1860 threes come and this coin is no exception to that rule

pcgs au-58

there is slight rub in hand

I'm glad to hear that this coin is in an AU-58 holder. I would have guessed that it was in an MS-62 holder.

It's a nice coin Michael, and even if has been dipped, it has not been turned into "white gold."

coin is lighter in hand and is totally frosty with no hint of prooflike surfaces at all

this is usually the way philly mint 1860 threes come and this coin is no exception to that rule

pcgs au-58

Wow - was I fooled by this one !! :grin:

I will never question Mark Feld ever again !! :)

pcgs au-58

I will never question mark Feld ever again !! :)

That would be downright silly ;) I merely guessed, and guessed right. I have also guessed wrong on many occasions.

I have seen guess the grade threads where posters guessed the grade "right", but I still felt they were dead wrong, based on their guesses compared to the images provided. And other times, I have felt that some who guessed "wrong", were right, based upon the images they had to work with.

pcgs au-58

I will never question mark Feld ever again !! :)

That would be downright silly ;) I merely guessed, and guessed right. I have also guessed wrong on many occasions.

I have seen guess the grade threads where posters guessed the grade "right", but I still felt they were dead wrong, based on their guesses compared to the images provided. And other times, I have felt that some who guessed "wrong", were right, based upon the images they had to work with.

Grading based on an image is usually a best guess .

thanks for the nice comments

the coin does look unc. in the photos

but in hand there is the slightest of slight rub

it is frosty but it had been soap and watered but not totally canary yellow gold conserved to death like many pieces in other holders and even a few in pcgs holders

i have seen worse in 62 holders and i have seen even worst in 58 holders

but correclty graded as 58 no more no less

I'm glad to hear that this coin is in an AU-58 holder. I would have guessed that it was in an MS-62 holder.

It's a nice coin Michael, and even if has been dipped, it has not been turned into "white gold."

Well,we all know by now that AU 58 and MS 62 are interchangeable.Ha!kidding,but it sometimes seems that way.

I still think she's gorgeous and would be proud to own it.

As would I.

Nothing better than a gorgeous gold coin graded AU58 instead of MS62. MUCH cheaper...