• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this Morgan a "Star" candidate?

26 posts in this topic

ebay1017038.jpg[/img]

ebay1017040.jpg

Does this Morgan have a solid chance to get a NGC "Star" designation? I'm not clear on the grading standards NGC uses for the "Star". Currently housed in an old PCGS rattler slab.

ebay1017038.jpg[/img]

Does this Morgan have a solid chance to get a NGC "Star" designation? I'm not clear on the grading standards NGC uses for the "Star". Currently housed in an old PCGS rattler slab.

BTW care to guess the grade?

It doesn't look star worthy to me, but I've guessed wrong plenty of times before. Grade-wise, I'll guess MS66, but whatever it is, if it were mine, I'd leave it in its current, older holder.

ebay1017038.jpg[/img]

BTW care to guess the grade?

Unless I am missing it, I would have to see the reverse also. I would guess MS65 on the obverse but would have to see the reverse.

From what I know stars are awarded to Mint State coins that are outstanding for the grade. You did not give us a holder grade for this coin, but if it is in an MS-65 holder and would cross to an MS-65 NGC, I don't see a star in its future.

Reverse image added--Thanks, I'll post the grade tonight.

The reverse is very nice, and adds slightly to the minimal "star" potential, going from, say, 3% to 5% lol ! But I will stick with MS-65 as my grade guess.

From what I know stars are awarded to Mint State coins that are outstanding for the grade. You did not give us a holder grade for this coin, but if it is in an MS-65 holder and would cross to an MS-65 NGC, I don't see a star in its future.
Bill, the star is about eye-eppeal, not techincal quality for the assigned grade. I can't tell from your post if you already thought/knew that or not.

Nice coin , leave it in the Old Rattler. I doubt NGC would star this one.

I would give this a MS 66 but that mark in the right reverse field probably limits the grade to MS 65. Knowing how tough PCGS was back then this coin is most likely MS 65 but could be a ms 64 !!

ebay1017039.jpg

Thank you for your candid responses. I'm here to learn and you all have helped. In all honesty I really like this coin. I have acquired an MS67 in a newer NGC holder. It's white, very clean but just doesn't have the "character" of this coin. This is one of the first higher grade toned coins that I acquired.

I have a few Morgans in rattler holders and had noted that the movement of the coins in the holders had caused some "rub" on the high points--that was why I was considering reholdering with a possible bonus upgrade.

Bill, the star is about eye-eppeal, not techincal quality for the assigned grade. I can't tell from your post if you already thought/knew that or not.

So far as I'm concerned "outstanding for the grade" makes "eye appeal" a foregone conclustion.

Since I'll probably never own a star coin, it's a concept to that beyond my radar screen. My my area of preference, early coins, a star coin would be way out of my league.

So far as I'm concerned "outstanding for the grade" makes "eye appeal" a foregone conclustion.

Since I'll probably never own a star coin, it's a concept to that beyond my radar screen. My my area of preference, early coins, a star coin would be way out of my league.

But exceptional eye-appeal (which is what the star is supposedly awarded for) does not necessarily mean "outstanding for the grade" or even solid for the grade. Star coins can be gorgeous AND low end for the grade.

But exceptional eye-appeal (which is what the star is supposedly awarded for) does not necessarily mean "outstanding for the grade" or even solid for the grade. Star coins can be gorgeous AND low end for the grade.

Here's an MS 66 "Star" that when I got it was very disappointing.First,I don't think is quite MS66 and second it didn't deserve the star. It was cheap for the grade and all but i returned it anyway.l wouldn't rule out a star for the OP's coin.

04OStar1.jpg

04OStar2.jpg

Here's an MS 66 "Star" that when I got it was very disappointing.First,I don't think is quite MS66 and second it didn't deserve the star. It was cheap for the grade and all but i returned it anyway.l wouldn't rule out a star for the OP's coin.

04OStar1.jpg

04OStar2.jpg

That looks like a solid 66 to me - even in the large images, I see very few marks/flaws.

04OStar1.jpg

04OStar2.jpg

That looks like a solid 66 to me - even in the large images, I see very few marks/flaws.

Hey Mark,

It very well could be,but I didn't think so at the time.Problem is,most sellers give you such a short time to examine and think over your purchase that I feel rushed whenever I buy something.

Most of the guys here thought it was closer to 64+,and 65.I know they are tough graders.

Besides, I wanted one with more defined eagle feathers and those roller marks bugged me too.

Hindsight?I probably should have kept it and resold it myself. I don't think I quite paid 66 money for it either..