• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2 Bust Halves..opinions?

10 posts in this topic

I recently acquired these 2 nice, original-skin Busties..I was wondering what others thought the grades might be after grading..I hope the crummy pictures I take will be sufficient to give me a ballpark estimate of what to expect..thank you, Jackso

PS: if anyone knows anything about varieties for these 2 years1819,1824..I would greatly appreciate it.. :takeit:

87636.jpg.c375a133d3abebce42e038985e5df2bf.jpg

87637.jpg.fb0aac5bf607b514f738507e22750fff.jpg

87638.jpg.f477ca2d2d33ab9ee25081dfe097fad7.jpg

87639.jpg.581be02678869eca3b16eb10653410b6.jpg

A quick note ...

I just noticed the rim irregularity on the 1819 reverse..when I looked at the rim/edge it turns out that the mark is a result of messed-up edge lettering. The word "OR" overlaps with the H in "HALF", so that it says "O (RH) ALF "..is this a variety or do edges not count?

Edge lettering mishaps are very common and not worth a premium unless you've got doubled or tripled lettering.

I would call the 1824 a nice F.

The 1819 is a VF, and its either O-110 or O-111. I can't tell.

I don't think any better than VG and F respectively. The first seems pretty heavily worn and I worry about a spot near 11:00 on the reverse. Also looks to have a decent bit of chatter.

thanks e1..I'm gonna send them economy so I'll let you know how well you guessed..

I have them in hand so I can tell the color and that the pictures make the marks look worse, my guess is F15 VF20..we'll see...wish me no BB's

not to be rude, and maybe it is the photos, but my first reaction was meh... as in sorta blah.. So I will assume the coins are nicer looking in hand than the photos lead on. If so then sweet.

The 1819 is a strong Fine; the '24 is a weaker Fine. As for die varieties, the '19 is O-110 (an R-3) and the 1824 appears to be O-105 (R-2). The overlapping edge error that you describe on the 1819 is commonly seen on all years and in my experience actually seems to be at least as common (if not more so) than a standard edge on 1818s and 1819s for some reason.

I don't think I would want to send these out to be graded. The second one may have had a cleaning (of course it is hard to judge from these pics) and NGC has been on the conservative side when it comes to grading lately. I would say the values for both of these being less than $100, would make slabbing be more of a hassle and a risk, so I would just keep them raw and enjoy them for what they are. In my case, I would slot them in the holes in my Dansco...