• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1959 Franklin - Guess the Grade ;)

10 posts in this topic

This is a very special coin - can anyone tell me why?

I'll be doing a very complete write-up about this coin when its twin arrives, hopefully in the next day or two. Until then, guess the grade - and its not what you think it is ;) The grade on the slab is only part of it.

JPA825obverse.jpg

JPA825reverse.jpg

Close fish, but not quite... You're on the right track though. This is not the DDR (type 2 over type 1 eagle), which happened in the hubbing process, not striking. This is however a Type 2 reverse business strike, which was used on proofs.

Anyone else care to guess the grade? I'll give the answer later today.

This is in fact a 65, graded by ANACS. I feel this is an accurate grade, especially given its eye appeal. Its a Type II reverse, and I'll be posting an in-depth discussion of the Type II in a couple of days.

This coin does not have Full Bell Lines - the lines look in hand almost exactly as they do in this picture. They are strong in the top right, weak in the top left, and there are marks which interrupt the bottom lines.

What is special about this coin is that it is semi-prooflike. As fish mentioned, PL Franklins are very rare, but this coin is most of the way there (I don't think it fully qualifies). PL Franklins are known on 1949S and 1959 coins - for reasons which will be explained!

I am curious as to why the 1959 Franklins had some PL's(also a few 58's?). I think I know the theory on the 1949S being the first year for the SF Mint and the ANA convention being held there that year.

I am curious as to why the 1959 Franklins had some PL's(also a few 58's?). I think I know the theory on the 1949S being the first year for the SF Mint and the ANA convention being held there that year.
All shall be revealed shortly ;) I'll probably post the finished thread Friday, a couple of new angles have come to my attention, I will be pursuing them before posting.