• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worth getting graded?

9 posts in this topic

This is the correct forum yes.

Welcome to our friendly neighbourhood!

Unfortunately, no, your Lincoln is not worth getting graded. It is worth about 1 cent.

What you see on the date, and which is prompting you to ask, appears to be strike doubling. This is incredibly common, is considered damage by some, and occurs when the die twists and scrapes on the coin as it is coming apart directly after striking.

welcome to the boards

the coin would not be worth the certification fee i would keep it raw

now there is an exception to that and this is a somewhat planned slabbing of sentimental value coins

for example i have a friend close to where i live that likes coins and he had a daughter about 6 years ago and he is currently introducing her to coins and he lets her look at his change for coins for her collection his wife got a silver dime in change and their daughter picked it out as an ''OLDER'' coin and was excited as it is silver

he decided to get all the coins certified with some sort of pedigree on the holder so the daughter can keep this ongoing collection as a family keepsake for her beginning coins and he is currently seeing if ngc will also pedigree the coins besides having the coins certified and of course the certification fees are many many times greater than the coins themselves but he does not care