• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whatcha think about thissun?

9 posts in this topic

Ah, Bob is on the right track.

Bobby, I'm not sure if it's been dipped before. I really doubt it since the colors are different. At least not dip that we normally talk about, but something did get on the obverse to make it tone that way, I'm just not sure what the agent was. Anyone else ever seen colors like this?

And Bob, of course I had to tilt the coin to get the actual look, and I'm sure you're well aware of the glare problems when tilting a coin.

I agree with Bob as these are hard to pic. The lincoln proofs can also get some very wierd toning depending on how they are stored. I have one of those "Birthyear Coin Set" frames I put together for my wife. It has a 1964 proof set in it and I don't know what's in the cardboard but the lincoln is the ugliest of all the coins.

I do know the pitfalls of these Lincoln proof toners. Here are a couple of early images of my 1940. I'm trying to work up the courage to re-do my 36-42 set. I'll have to go through a little therapy first I think.

1940PrObv_015-2.jpg1940PrObv_009.jpg

1940PrRev_007-2.jpg1940PrRev_008-2.jpg