• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Care to grade a Classic Head Large Cent?

13 posts in this topic

Looks like it might have some ED, especially on the reverse. The part I'm concerned about is on the reverse inside the wreath near the O and C of ONE CENT. And again around the ST of STATES.

It has AU sharpness, but some corrosion has been skillfully removed from both the obverse and reverse. Most of the more serious damage is on the reverse. I'd net grade it to the VF-30 to 35 range. It's still a very nice example of a difficult type.

The coin would get a "genuine" grade from PCGS, and a net grade under the new NGC system.

Sent my 1810 S-285 Classic Large Cent to NGC and it just arrived yesterday. It is in the traditional holder. I was surprised it wasn't in the new three pronged holder.

810-1010.jpg

810-2020.jpg

810-3030.jpg

Considering that this is an issue well known for being struck on inferior planchets, I'm not surprised that it graded problem free with no net grade. The corrosion might have been there before striking. I'm not saying I would grade it that high, I'm just not surprised by it. I wold have to see the coin in hand to determine if it was a bagable offense.

You received a good grade, I am surprised they did not give you an edge view holder. I know I asked for an edge view when I sent a coin in for a re holder a few months ago.