• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions please 1890 Morgan Dollar MS or ?

15 posts in this topic

This is a Morgan Dollar my dad had laying around. Do you think it will grade?

MD1890obv.jpg

Obverse

MD1890Rev.jpg

Reverse

Thanks in advance.

James Tucci

What is that going from Liberty's eye, down to her chin and out in between stars 2 and 3? If its a hair and not a scratch than I would say between MS63 and MS64. The lighting is just at the right angle to hide scratches though so it is hard to tell. Nice coin for sure though.

What is that going from Liberty's eye, down to her chin and out in between stars 2 and 3? If its a hair and not a scratch than I would say between MS63 and MS64. The lighting is just at the right angle to hide scratches though so it is hard to tell. Nice coin for sure though.

I didn't see that mark on the previous photos. If it is a scratch it's grade will be BB.

The reverse looks MS-65 from the images, but that looks like slide marks on Liberty's cheek, so overall, I think MS-62. If there are no slidemarks, then it's at least MS-64.

The slidemarks?? are very distracting to me. If these show as bad in grading as they do in pics, I would have to say MS62 or BB.

This is one of those coins you really have to see in person to grade.

1890 silver dollars are known for weak strikes and so-so luster. It is a common date, but high grade pieces are scarce because the mint did not do a great job of striking. them.

This pieces appears to have semi proof-like luster, but no breast feathers on the reverse. The long mark from the eye almost looks like a mark on a plastic case that is reflected double on the surface. It could be a very light scratch, some foreign material on the surface or a toning mark.

In short I can't really put a grade on this from the picture.

That scratch makes it look like Lady Liberty is weeping.

Beautiful coin otherwise, hopefully just a deep scratch on the (GSA?) plastic holder.

No the coin is raw and is not in any holder. The mark is in the luster and not a scratch. (it has no depth to it.) There are some marks that cross over it so it has been there early on.

Still on the fence as to grading it or not. MS64 might be worth it, MS62 borderline, and of course BB no way.

Any other opinions?

And again to all on the board.

Thanks

James Tucci

At MS-64 it's about a $150.00 coin. Hard to justify $30.00 grading fee. With the abrasion/rub could BB but probably a 62/63 as-is. I wouldn't bother grading it because even with a MS-64 it's on low-end eye appeal. Maybe if you let it tone? How has it been stored, if not in a slab? Very little surface tone from the looks now.

IMHO it would be a gamble to send it in. I bet they BB it as they may see that as a scratch and not a rub.

If it does grade then 62/63.