• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1853 Large Cent - Guess the grade

16 posts in this topic

Coin dude – go stand in a corner for calling this coin brown . :mad::grin:

I will reveal the grade tomorrow but will post that the color is RB .

Did anyone notice what this coin is lacking that so many RB and especially RD coins have on them ??

...Did anyone notice what this coin is lacking that so many RB and especially RD coins have on them ??
I did. I lacks good luster, a good strike, clean surfaces and eye-appeal. :(

Is that what you meant? (shrug)

;)

...Did anyone notice what this coin is lacking that so many RB and especially RD coins have on them ??
I did. I lacks good luster, a good strike, clean surfaces and eye-appeal. :(

Is that what you meant? (shrug)

;)

Mr. funny Man Mark Feld is being sarcastic as he pre screened this coin in hand before I bid on it.

:cool:

Instead of spending time here you should be studying up on all those coins I asked you to look at for me. I expect gold CAC stickers for all coins you recommend , I will settle for nothing less lol:blahblah:

Did anyone notice what this coin is lacking that so many RB and especially RD coins have on them ??

Do you mean, spots, carbon and highpoint rub?

I guessed MS-65 RB earlier, but forgot to mention that it should be an EAC 63 easily, and possibly 64.

If EAC grades that one an MS-63, I'm a buyer, even at the CQR (Copper Quotes by Robinson) price - unless it's an R-8 variety that has a price that headed to the moon! :baiting:

The coin is MS 66 RB. There are no distracting carbon spots with the exception of a possible very minor one near the 5 on the coin. The surface of the coin is very smooth with only a few minimal marks to be found . Mark messaged me and mentioned that my picture made it appear as if there were marks on the face – there are none. The combination of red and brown is very appealing, a little more red on her face would have been nice but that is the only downside I could find on this coin.

The slab attributes this coin as N-2 but it was noted in the auction that it was actually a N-24 which is only an R 2.

The Heritage picture was ok , I have Mark Feld pre screen the majority of coins I purchase at Auction that are to become a part of my collection. Mr. picky said the coin was “ok” for me to bid on. I know from experience that Mark is very selective and will only approve coins that meet his high standards (shameless plug !! ) . When I received it yesterday I was very pleased to say the least . I have been looking for a nice RB MS 65 or 66 Large cent at a reasonable price for a while

Man I'm always a day late.

I was going to say MS65 RB, but I can absolutely see why it warranted a 66.

Pretty much impossible to improve on this date in your lifetime Mark...

Congrats on a fine coin there Mark. I was joshing about the BN label, I figured for sure it was a RB, but I don't think the picture gave it as much justice as the coin deserved. It is one gorgeous example.

Somehow I missed this tread also. A beautiful example of a very nice RB large cent. Getting Mark's approval is icing on the cake. (thumbs u We all know his knowledge, standards and honesty is above reproach. Would love to see your other newps.