• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1831 Capped Bustie GTG and Overton *Grade Posted*

19 posts in this topic

Guess the grade, guess the Overton. And no cheating!

I don't have it in hand yet, so I don't know how true to life these pics are.

Lately, PCGS has been calling everything AU50, even though AU53 or 55 would have been more appropriate.

When I saw the pics of this coin, my first reaction was AU53, like many of you. PCGS graded it EF-45 in an old green holder. I paid $288 for it, somewhat strong for a 45, but a great bargain if it goes 53 or 55.

82824.jpg.54adf97411e7f32b81c1588323b1e3f8.jpg

I was guessing that the coin has some very good luster, thus the 55 guess. The coin is the coin, so unless you have some motive to crack it, I would just leave it as is...

I'm not planning on cracking it. Anyone who would be interested in the coin will know enough to grade it properly themselves, and I plan on keeping it for a good long time anyways.

I'm not planning on cracking it. Anyone who would be interested in the coin will know enough to grade it properly themselves, and I plan on keeping it for a good long time anyways.

That's the spirit!

I love the look of the old PCGS green holders, plus they hardly ever scuff or scratch.

I just got this beauty in hand, and its even nicer than I had hoped. The luster is full and bold, cartwheeling over the entire coin. The album toning is multicolored and attractive. And based on the wear, I would definitely call this an AU-53. I posted this coin on CoinZip, and halfnuts said that this coin belonged to Tom Bay ten years ago, anyone heard of him? Below are my pics, do they change or confirm your opinion of the coin?

JPA814obverse.jpg

JPA814reverse.jpg

Great photos PF!

I only own two Bust halves, an 1825 and an 1834, both certified by ANACS as XF40, but all these recent photos have convinced me that I may need to aquire a few more.

Now the only question is what do I sell?

Even though this is an old thread, I just wanted to say that that's a mighty fine looking coin. At first I would have said AU, so when I saw the grade I was like "What? it can't be XF."

I recently went to a show and I have to say that you see a lot of questionable AUs, but if you showed me that at a show I would have said it was at least a low AU 50 or maybe 53. Then again I'm no expert, but still tis a fine coin to make any owner proud.