• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade on this 1812/1 Bust Half

13 posts in this topic

Ok I have posted some nice looking coins now here is one that is not so nice .

An obvious dip on this one. I expect the grades to be all over the map on this one , I am not sure that NGC even got this one right. However after looking at many other 1812/1 Busts at the same grade I can somewhat agree with NGC.

One hint on this coin – this over date is well know for a weak strike especially on the observe.

82645.jpg.f8439817fc386a3d8a88757923b25d31.jpg

82646.jpg.9df3d32a6f00d327f4be7ba70ebb3bdf.jpg

Oh, now this one really is hard. The reverse is an all-there EF-45 at least. The obverse looks to be VF-30 or so, but you say I need to take into account a weak strike, and the luster is strong.

I'm going to call it an EF-40, with low confidence in my grade.

I'll go with AU50.

Edited to add: That is based on the observation that there looks to be plenty of luster. And details-wise, the reverse looks AU53 or thereabouts.

Looks like something that would grade XF 40 to me...I have an AU 50 and it has significantly less wear than that. To bad about the dip...

Xf 45 has it . This is a tough coin to grade if you don’t understand the mush strike issues of this date and Overton .

82701.jpg.ec5767145dc91865cd7347eec3f763dd.jpg

Xf 45 has it . This is a tough coin to grade if you don’t understand the mush strike issues of this date and Overton .

WOW......I finally got one right!! :insane:

WOW......I finally got one right!! :insane:

Me too. Did I cheat (shrug) or something .... ?

the holdered photo really has great lustre so it is at least xf45

and also with the lustre it presents itself as an eye catching desirable coin